RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

masking and rotating questions

Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Re: masking and rotating questions

hi quantum3,

ok.... the last part addressed..

- "use a white vector mask and paint with black brush". Photoshop isn't able to let you paint over vectors whichever version you have (that's a nice charateristic of Illustrator).

that one there i am sort of confused on.. because it looks like you can...
or am i overlooking something.......
in the tutorial he using vector mask and he using the black brush and you can see the black on the white thumbnail vector mask ..... i can duplicate that on my cs 1 .... what am I overlooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
"Let's go by parts" said Jack the ripper, haha.

- The vector mask is shown in the Paths Palette (window/paths). It's not shown in the Channels palette because vectors are not composed of rasterized pixels.

- There is no difference among showing or hidding the layer with the mask, whichever you use: vector or layer mask. The difference is that vecotor only does that while LM can be adjusted or edited in several ways. Also, vectors can be reshaped very accurately. It's good when doing templates and other designing stuff.

- "use a white vector mask and paint with black brush". Photoshop isn't able to let you paint over vectors whichever version you have (that's a nice charateristic of Illustrator).

Tip: you can turn vectors into selections and viceversa by selectig (making active) the vector/selection and Cmd+Intro/Ctrl+Enter.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 PM

I opened photoshop and it's impossible to paint over a vector mask. When you add a vector mask you can: paint over the layer, not over the VM or, adding a Layer Mask to paint over. So your layer will look with a layer mask attached to it and a vector mask. May be you're confusing that visual thing. But's impossible to paint over a vector mask since the vector is just that. It'¡s like trying to mix oil with water in other terms. Let me know if this helps or send me the tutorial 'cause I don't see nothing related to the problem you have in the first link you posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 11:15 AM

I think your your right...
i was starting to think it was visual perception... hence i don't why the person used the vector mask vice the standard regular mask... .. smiling...

oh well thank you very much for taking the time with me......

oh do you have any suggestion on the issue that my firend is having with his cs4 where as he rotate his object, duplicate object is left behind... it not all the time but sometimes... it doesn't do it consistantly

Quote:
I opened photoshop and it's impossible to paint over a vector mask. When you add a vector mask you can: paint over the layer, not over the VM or, adding a Layer Mask to paint over. So your layer will look with a layer mask attached to it and a vector mask. May be you're confusing that visual thing. But's impossible to paint over a vector mask since the vector is just that. It'¡s like trying to mix oil with water in other terms. Let me know if this helps or send me the tutorial 'cause I don't see nothing related to the problem you have in the first link you posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Mmmhhh... Rotating a vector delays th way it's shown. Firstly, rotates the vector and after rotation, the rasterized preview of the vector. That's a normal behavior.

Reading again your first post, itr seems he's duplicating the layer that he's rotating. That cannot be possible. He probably is doing something wrong or misunderstanding PS.

For example, when adding a new vector shape sometimes it's added to an existent vector layer instead a new vector layer but usually happens that PS adds a new vector layer for each new vector added to the thing.

If you can upload a video with the problem you're having would be much more clear.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM

hi,
it a selection,, he selects the object from one file and then copies and paste into the main file he working with...... now not sure if he using the pen tool (which he then would have to convert to a selection) or just maybe just use one of the regular selection tools... but the object is not vector based ...

not sure if he know how to make a video of what he doing.... been trying to to get him to send me a screen capture.... hopefully when get home from work and online get him to do that...

Quote:
Mmmhhh... Rotating a vector delays th way it's shown. Firstly, rotates the vector and after rotation, the rasterized preview of the vector. That's a normal behavior.

Reading again your first post, itr seems he's duplicating the layer that he's rotating. That cannot be possible. He probably is doing something wrong or misunderstanding PS.

For example, when adding a new vector shape sometimes it's added to an existent vector layer instead a new vector layer but usually happens that PS adds a new vector layer for each new vector added to the thing.

If you can upload a video with the problem you're having would be much more clear.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 01:32 PM

How it's related the action of copying and pasting with vectors and selections? I don't get the message.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
How it's related the action of copying and pasting with vectors and selections? I don't get the message.
it was really seperate issue......

in his cs4 , after the temple 2 selection was pasted into the document the tutorial called for then rotating it... but as it rotates it would sometimes leave behind duplicate object object... to me it wierd that it does that.... i am still having him do some more testing...... see if can find some commonality
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM

I saw the tutorial, where it says "Vector Mask" is incorrect and it doesn't show the layers palette (it's a must showing how goes the layer structure).

When you rotate the figure and it creates a duplicated, are you sure that duplicated is in the Layer Palette too? Because it could be just a on screen bad rendering by some issue with the video card as someone else said.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM

hi,
yes am sure.. i had him save the file and then reopen the psd file and sure enough yo see the duplates objects and in the same layer... not different layers...

like i said it really stange to me... i have searched all over the net and on adobe forum boards but haven't found nothing like it...

Quote:
I saw the tutorial, where it says "Vector Mask" is incorrect and it doesn't show the layers palette (it's a must showing how goes the layer structure).

When you rotate the figure and it creates a duplicated, are you sure that duplicated is in the Layer Palette too? Because it could be just a on screen bad rendering by some issue with the video card as someone else said.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Why not a keyboard problem?

The only way I found rotating an object with the transform tool which generates a duplicated in a new layer is by Cmd/Ctrl+Alt-T and then rotating. However you say is in the same layer... I think reinstalling PS will solve the problem or maybe, reseting the keyboard preferences inside Photoshop but I think re-installing should work.

Tell us when solved and how you did it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing