RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Where can I find Stock photos?

Old 06-18-2002, 02:07 PM

imagestation.com

A couple times in couple threads noticed Greg refers to imagestation.com/album. Can someone tell me how to find the things in there that one can find. All I see is pictures for sale and probably don't know how to use the site. And, is there a site that has 'stock' photos of normal stuff, not for sale - just different photos for whatever parts, etc.?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 02:47 PM

The only thing I can really suggest about this is to do a search.

Of course, you technically are not allowed to use any photos in a commercial composition unless they are free for commercial use. Some people will have free stock for non-commercial use, but free photos for commercial use are hard to find. A google search would be the best idea, but don't forget to read the fine print. I see many people who use whatever photo they find on the internet in their compositions. But if you want to play by the rules (and avoid potential lawsuit) you are probably going to have to pay.

If it is just for your own practice purposes, then it is easier to find legally acceptable photos.

If you are just looking for parts, I would suggest buying an inexpensive stock photo CD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 02:52 PM

Didn't know they made stock CD's like say they do of clip art. Will look for one and also start a thread on site inquiries.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 02:56 PM

'Stock' photos

Does anyone know where one can find just ordinary 'stock' photos - not the for sale gorgeous backgrounds etc. Like right now I could use an old "semi-trailer bumper" that got all messed up under years of scotch tape. Or sometimes an eyeball would be nice be might be able to find in some old pics I have. But what about just backyard tree settings, nothing fancy like professional backgrounds. Just plain ole photo's that people don't mind sharing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 03:25 PM

Hi Gail,

You might want to look into Hemera Photo objects. They don't have pretty backgrounds like you mentioned but 50,000 different objects. They have a trial version on their website where you can try out a few. I use it all the time for manipulation projects that I do.

I print projects at 8 x 10 at 300 dpi and they look very good. If you go to the gallery, I just posted a project called Riceburner and on that both the frying pan, rice, and hand all came from this program.

You may want to check it out - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 03:27 PM

Gail, check out the other area you posted this question. I just replied to your post with something that may be of some help- Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 04:17 PM

Thanks Carl - I got lost and am trying to locate other posting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the tips - will do. Also - A couple times in couple threads noticed Greg refers to imagestation.com/album. Can someone tell me how to find the things in there that one can find.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 04:45 PM

Gail, I asked Doug to combine the other thread with this one - so the two threads are merged now. You won't find the other one any more.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 04:50 PM

Gail,

From what I can see, www.imagestation.com is simply a forum for sharing photos with others. It is not a stock photo organization. It is not necessarily for sharing as in "trade", but sharing as in allowing the photos to be viewed over the internet - for people you know or anyone you want to view your photo album.

On the home page you can do a search, but from what I can tell, all of these photos are in albums that belong to people, not free for the taking.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing