RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

What's wrong with this image ?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 AM

What's wrong with this image ?

Is it the perspective of the safe box ? Is it the shadow ? Both ? Does it look realistic at all ?

I'm having a headache with it and would like to hear your opinion. Many thanks, Ljupco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8570 copydsfg.jpg (63.9 KB, 242 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 AM

Re: What's wrong with this image ?

For me the obvious thing is the way the hand doesn't interact with the safe at all, there's no sense of mass/weight there? Also perhaps if he were carrying a heavy safe it would sit further towards his upper back and head (i.e the edge against his back would be rotated anticlockwise more).

Just my .02, hope that doesn't sound too negative!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 AM

prespective and size of the box both are unnatural. also its does not sitting well on palm.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM

First of all the perspective is off, looks like you had to rotate the whole thing around an imaginary x-axis.
But the shadows don't show that both of them are connected as well. If they were, there'd be much more darkness in between.
The safe is above the hand, this way it seems like the person's grabbing into it.
On the other hand it's in front of the head, so it seems even more disconnected/rotated.
The light on the person comes from the left, the light on the safe from the right, that's also a problem.
And as it has been stated before, his back doesn't look like he's really carrying something as heavy as a safe.

Good luck with the image, but I'm afraid, there is little chance you'll get these two to work with each other.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Patron

Well I am no artist but what I did was darken the side of the safe in the foreground near the subject, and moved some of the hair and shirt around the edge of the safe to make the contact edge less smooth and increase the perspective of the safe slightly.

I also and crudley moved the fingers round the edge of the safe which I thought was a tad more realistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Safe.jpg (16.3 KB, 113 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks guys for your advice. I'll see what I can do with the image. Thanks again, Ljupco
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 AM

The picture is a man's profile. So the safe must be a profile also. The hand does not grab the safe properly, but I think that the profile isue is more important.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM

I agree with LaChance. At the angle the picture was "taken", you should see the side of the safe (as you do), and some of the underside of the safe (the surface against the man's back). You shouldn't be able to see any of the front of the safe nor its wheel handle.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 AM

What comes to the above said is:
The safe is taken from the left side of a shot.
Direction was not straight, so the side shows perspective and is not rectangular.
But the side of the safe showing to us should show almost no perspective in your comp.

A lot of work to get the whole picture better...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 PM

As has already been mentioned, there are numerous things "wrong" (wrong being a relative term - as sometimes images came be technically wrong, but still look quite natural), but the most glaring problem to me is the perspective. The safe would be (again, I believe already stated) rotated further towards the back of the image. In other words, more side view with the safe face side further foreshortened, with the wheel actually extending up (even further than I could quickly fudge). Of course the hand is wrong and needs to be reworked to better grip the safe's bottom edge. The shadowing doesn't bother me so much as you can oftentimes get away with not exact correct lighting - especially if it is not high contrast and distinctively directional. While maybe not technically correct, you would have to put some darker shadow immediately beneath the safe and in contact with the back. This would occur regardless of the original light source as the light would be displaced and not as bright here - and it helps to visually separate the object. Maybe the most bothersome issue for me is his posture. He is very upright and in this position it would be very hard to hold something so heavy. It also looks like his head is being flattened by the safe. I would suggest an "arch" in the back and the neck area with a strain in the shoulders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8570 copydsfg.jpg (48.1 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing