RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Comments and critique needed..

Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Re: Comments and critique needed..

Tony,
I was not sure about the shadow. There is in indeed original shadow of tree that was behind the camera. I agree that it is probably too much.
You are absolutely right about hoof inconsistencies. I think I am happy with shape except trailing leg. I think I found the reason why it looks like it doesn’t belong there. I think the original picture I took the hoof from was shot from different angle. I could make a big difference in shape. Also leading foreleg doesn’t match color wise.
I will try to correct these great observations you pointed out to me and I will come back to show version 3.
I really appreciate your input. BEING PICKY is good and important for something like this I think. Thanks! Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Almost there? ;-)

I did a few small changes today.

1. Hooves - some color changes especially the leading foreleg to match it better with the rest.
2. Trailing leg is the tricky part for me. I've made it smaller and some other small changes. I think it's helped a little bit. Question is if it is enough.
3. Shadow - I've eliminated par of it, reduced the density as well. Original tree shadow is still there. It's part of the original background. Too distracting or just original shadow that should stay there?

What do you think Tony? It looks like we are only two in this section lately. I think I did a big jump from first version thanks to your input.

Here is the version 3.

Thanks Charles

Last edited by Charles_cz; 04-08-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Patron

I think you are right Charles - almost there. Problem is always to know when to stop and sometimes just taking a break (if you can afford the luxury!) and returning later can reveal shortcomings you just did not spot in the first round.

I agree you have made a big jump from the first try and its is looking better each time. Regardless of what I and others may think, do you feel you have gone as far as you want/need with this?

Hope you do not mind but I have made a couple of tweaks to your last image (will happily delete if I am out of order!) which to my mind make it a little more believable.

1. The background shadows in the forest looked too weak and washed out IMO and not in line with the more contrasty horse. Therefore I darkened this area down quite a bit which I hope makes the horse blend a little more realistically?

2. The hind leg where it crossed the tree seem to have too strong a black outline. I cloned from the horse over the outline to blend in.

Finally the shadows under the hooves need I think to be darkened to more 'ground' the horse - particularly the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse.jpg (78.5 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Regardless of what I and others may think, do you feel you have gone as far as you want/need with this?
I am close I think. It's for me. So there is no rush or need to get it done. It's first one I am trying to really make as real as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Hope you do not mind but I have made a couple of tweaks to your last image (will happily delete if I am out of order!) which to my mind make it a little more believable.
Not at all.. I'll be happy to see your take on that and feel free to do that in the future.

1. The background shadows in the forest looked too weak and washed out IMO and not in line with the more contrasty horse.

Agreed - Now, should decide to print it out (it's our horse after all), should I go as far as you did. It looks like all detail from woods is gone should go somewhere in the middle. I guess I should try to print it out. I just wonder what would look better on print. My old Epson 2200 needs to do some work. ;-)

2. The hind leg where it crossed the tree seem to have too strong a black outline. I cloned from the horse over the outline to blend in.

I see what you are saying... I might be able to lighten it up a little to blend it in better.

Finally the shadows under the hooves need I think to be darkened to more 'ground' the horse - particularly the rear.

Shadows - that is something that will take time to master. I can tell. :-(

Great job Tony, thanks for your time! Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm not qualified to give critique but I just want to say omg the ones in the snow are yum! There is nothing more beautiful than horses in the snow. lovely shots! Now I'm gonna read all the tips above.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Kit View Post
I'm not qualified to give critique but I just want to say omg the ones in the snow are yum! There is nothing more beautiful than horses in the snow. lovely shots! Now I'm gonna read all the tips above.
Thanks for kind words.. Charles
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing