RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

any resources for expert level?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM

Re: any resources for expert level?

I am coming to an end of Gry Garness . As someone mentioned above it is quiet detailed, plenty of useful material. From basic retouching to quiet advanced level. This book covers a lot of manipulation material, here I am talking about body manipulation and what tool to use for a different task, what is important in the photo and what does not serve to it. i have bought this book about a month ago and still going back and forward in the ebook to get most of it. Ahh and also there is also quiet a few short videos included in the ebook. I was surprised there a lot of them.
..and it is nothing about creating artificial light.

Someone recently dropped a link to a very wonderful site packed with manipulations from scratch:http://www.tutzor.com/
nebula
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 PM

You will not learn much from DVD's.... The real high end retouchers, have a lot of work, and do not have time to do DVD's.

Save money, find a retoucher with a lot of clients, high end work and a great folio. Spend a couple of weeks with him.... You will learn all you need to know. Expect to pay, but you have to speculate to accumulate!

Good luck,

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 AM

PSD Tuts is really good if you pay 9 for one month it allows you to have a premium account and you can download any tutorial.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2011, 10:25 PM

I think photo manipulation is difference from beauty retouching, it concentrates more on composition, lighting, ... and if you had big experience in Photoshop what you need is your imagination you have base on your knowledge, your experience in life. I think watching DVD's of someone is to see how they use Photoshop to transform their imagination to picture , they will inspire you. When I see some fantastic photomanipulation, I though how they can create such an beautiful image, then I watched the tut and saw that image is created base on simple steps in Photoshop . You already had experience of Photoshop, you need the imagination
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2011, 10:48 PM

You are missing a BIG point here.... You HAVE to give the client what HE wants. Not what you want!

Now... There are two types of top retouchers... There are the technical retouchers, and there are the creative retouchers. All of the retouchers I have trained over the years, have all gone on to be very successful. But I have always looked where their path should lead.. Tech. or creative? Once I have found that out, I can then help them on their way.

I am very fortunate, but I have worked hard over the years. I retouched, I was very good in the darkroom, I have 3 years photographic qualifications from college, and I am artistic. BUT I HAVE WORKED HARD AT THESE.

Anyone can cut, paste, clone and blend... You have to give it that extra, that X-Factor.. This could be artistic, technical, or both! Once you have these tools, then you have confidence.

If you have confidence, and knowledge... Then you will make it. Good luck.

I have just landed a Big Redken job..... But I am working on a rather nasty clown at the same time... Clown is not digital, I am painting onto a license plate for a client. See? these two art forms go hand in hand!

Here is my nasty clown.... Just started roughing it out... A LONG way to go yet.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6/c86dfe9e.jpg

Last edited by ftp-Jeff; 07-24-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Adding more info...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
You are missing a BIG point here.... You HAVE to give the client what HE wants. Not what you want!

Now... There are two types of top retouchers... There are the technical retouchers, and there are the creative retouchers. All of the retouchers I have trained over the years, have all gone on to be very successful. But I have always looked where their path should lead.. Tech. or creative? Once I have found that out, I can then help them on their way.

I am very fortunate, but I have worked hard over the years. I retouched, I was very good in the darkroom, I have 3 years photographic qualifications from college, and I am artistic. BUT I HAVE WORKED HARD AT THESE.

Anyone can cut, paste, clone and blend... You have to give it that extra, that X-Factor.. This could be artistic, technical, or both! Once you have these tools, then you have confidence.

If you have confidence, and knowledge... Then you will make it. Good luck.

I have just landed a Big Redken job..... But I am working on a rather nasty clown at the same time... Clown is not digital, I am painting onto a license plate for a client. See? these two art forms go hand in hand!

Here is my nasty clown.... Just started roughing it out... A LONG way to go yet.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6/c86dfe9e.jpg
This totally depends on who your client is, and how the photo will be used. I've watched a lot of Amy Dresser shows here on retouchpro and i'm still amazed by her numbness to theory and technical stuff. It really gets me confused if she tells me the pictures will be printed OK while she is doing her screen calibration by eye-balling it. I supposse she will send it to a printing lab and let them deal with the printing trouble she has introduced.

Though i think you will NEED creativity you always have to know what the output will be and retouch with that in mind. Especially when it comes to color.

The extra X-factor doesnt come from the retouch, the extra X-factor comes from the photography/lighting and you can make the X-factor even bigger with the retouch. Garbage times Garbage = even more garbage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2011, 10:53 PM

Don't know who Amy Dresser is. Yes it can come from the photography/lighting Colour theory... That's what I said..... Technical

The other is the creative artistic retoucher.

If you have both, then you will do very well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 AM

Any decent retoucher will have a large format printer with some setup like GMG, it should be as standard as buying photoshop, why should the print lab deal with your incompetence.

This thread seriously should have stopped at ftp jeff's reply;

"Save money, find a retoucher with a lot of clients, high end work and a great folio. Spend a couple of weeks with him (or her jeff, remember our mutual friend).... You will learn all you need to know. Expect to pay, but you have to speculate to accumulate!"

The people behind these DVD are not the top retouchers, looking at some of their portfolios I can't tell if they are professionals or hobbyists.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Sorry.... Some of the best retouchers I have trained were female... They always have a better approach. Even in the old days before digital!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM

less computer geeky.
You missing the summer on the tubes?
Gareth
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing