RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

One more horse composite...

Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Re: One more horse composite...

Tony,

I am glad you’ve got DOF figured out. LOL I know that original background picture helps in this case. The original background composition on purpose includes the tree.

I’ve started my composite as you did with the tree in the picture. Why have I removed it?
I’ve removed the tree to make my life easier and to eliminate one possibly major problem with the composite.

1. Make my life easier – probably just lack of experience. I never know if in this case horse is correct size for the background especially when I crop pictures. In this case – is the horse too big or too small comparing to the tree? Shooting distance and focal length play role here but to me something always looks either too big or too small. LOL

2. Possibly major problem with the composition – My wife (she rides horses all the time) asked me. Where is that horse coming from? Then it hit me. When you consider direction of the horse, suggested speed of galloping horse at least in my mind it looks like the horse jumped through the tree.
Removing the tree eliminated size ratio problem and questionable tree. I like the tree in the picture but I was just not right for me there in this case.

I like examples you did. It is good to see changes in each example.

1. I agree that horse is too dark in first image.

2. Second is closer to my look. I have cranked up exposure in RAW on purpose for print. For some reason it always comes darker from my printer. (Epson 2200)

3. I like D&B picture. I don’t mind it a little bit darker on screen as it is with warmer colors. I like warm light..

Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 PM

4. Blur version is too much for my taste.

Also I forgot to mention that your shadow is looks more real to me because it doesn't extend over horizon as mine does. That is something that I did not correct before printing and I should have. Oh well. Next time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM

I think it looks pretty good. There is something about the shadow that is not coming off as real. Maybe the lack of weaving in and out the blades and being sharp around the edges as the part of the ground surface is in focus. I think that maybe bringing the horse forward into the area of DOF where focus is sharp might also make the horse look less cut out - like maybe a couple of feet (in real placement) distance might place him into an area where both the ground and he are in the same plane. But pretty nice all in all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygraphics View Post
I think it looks pretty good. There is something about the shadow that is not coming off as real. Maybe the lack of weaving in and out the blades and being sharp around the edges as the part of the ground surface is in focus. I think that maybe bringing the horse forward into the area of DOF where focus is sharp might also make the horse look less cut out - like maybe a couple of feet (in real placement) distance might place him into an area where both the ground and he are in the same plane. But pretty nice all in all.
Agreed, shadow is problematic and that is something I will have to learn to deal with. It will take me a while to get it. :-) Thanks for the comment.

Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Talking Re: One more horse composite...

I think that the shadow is a hard one given that it is taken from a relatively flat matted grass and ground area and being placed into an in focus higher blades of grass coverage. I played quickly with using the original shadow shape but weaving it in an out of the grass blades and sometimes missing the leaves also. BUT... it is a hard one to pull off without spending a good deal of time. Nice job again and a beautiful horse!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg background.jpg (84.8 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 AM

Imho, The DoF is a little bothersome, maybe by adding some DoF to the foreground of the photo,( for example: Grass area) the photo would work even better.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing