Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Probably a really easy cut and drop for someone??

Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Re: Probably a really easy cut and drop for someon

Originally Posted by 4personnen View Post
To 0lBaldy:
I'm just confused by the way you search for W B and gray points on your layer stack. Why not use clippings in the curves panel and (Or levels panel) and sampler tool to find these points? (you'll also have the RGB settings in the info panel for those sampling points)... Just a question maybe I do it wrong myself (may also be dependent on your version, mine is PSCS4)

PS: Photograph courtesy of mayfield curtis

The values are non-accurate in this print screen shot
I am just a novice, but the Gray layer set to Difference and using a Threshold Layer above it is one of many ways I was taught to find the Gray Point,.... Black and White points were found using the same Threshold layer with the Gray layer unchecked or deleted... (I made an action, so it is convenient and simple for me to find the points without searching..)

Create a new layer and fill with 50% Gray change the blend mode of that layer to difference. after you get your 50% gray layer set to difference... add a new Threshold Adjustment Layer to the top of the stack.... slide the slider to the left till there is a small black point just large enough to accommodate the bullseye of the eyedropper tool that shows up and after you hold down the Shift key... click to set the point (that is the neutral gray point).... then turn off or delete the 50% Gray layer and use the same threshold layer again to establish and set the white point by sliding the slider to the right till you just see a white area just big enough for the bullseye (beware of reflections though) .. then set the black point the same way by going left..

when all three points are set.... hide the Threshold Layer and open and place on top of the stack a Curves or Levels Adjustment Layer and use those points to set the white, gray, black points...

After that, merge up all your layers (Ctrl-Alt-Shft-E) and continue working your Leveled/Color Corrected image..

In Photoshop, I have found that if what works for you, gives you the results that you are looking for then thats the correct way for you...

There might be a sundry of other ways to approach a problem that could be faster, simpler, or even more convoluted but it is always the results that counts using whatever tools you are comfortable working with..

Hope this helps some ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2011, 02:27 AM

I would just like to add that this thread is what i think rtp is all about, helpful to all, and with lots of tips and advice, given i might add in a nice friendly way

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 AM

@ 0lbaldy
thanks for the tip, of course with an action made with yours my method sounds tedious now....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Just in case anyone wasnt sure about the technique here is a link to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 AM

The only concern I have with this technique is that it doesn't really search for neutral areas, but merely areas with a neutral gray (128/128/128), which means that dark neutral areas aren't taken into consideration.

Personally I've created an action that creates a 50% gray layer in "Luminosity" mode and after that the 50% gray layer in "Difference" mode.
Now using the threshold will give you black wherever the color is near neutrality, not only in the midtones :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Not sure what all the levels and thresholds are being used for, but as always - there are many ways to do things in PS. No right or wrong. Usually personal preferences.

To my way of thinking - this "is" just simply a cut (PATH) and clip job. About 5-10 minutes. Your path will enable you to cut, drop=out background or copy and paste into another background. I believe someone gave you a link to using your pen tool. There are many free links to learning this tool. Check them out.

Although this is a little on the lores side for a precise accurate pen cut path - you can usually guestimate the shape of the object. ALSO one of the really good things about Paths is that they are OBJECT ORIENTED or Vector based. That is - they are resolution independent. So I can cut a PATH and save a lil' ol' grayscale version of your original and post here (which I have).

This image has a Path on it and you can just drag it from the path menu and drop it onto your existing image. You can also select all points and just drag it around to line it up to yours. You can also scale it to fit yours (if your original is a larger image).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PATH.jpg (70.3 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing