RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

looking for a little help!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM

looking for a little help!

Do you have to clean photos up such as removing items, cleaning up a face, adding items, etc. before you can do layer adjustments?

I was working on this photo the other night and had done some clean up and then went in and masked certain parts to do layer adjustments and after I did those I wanted to remove something from the photo. So I removed something, but since the layer is under the adjustments it doesn't show the removal that I made and if I place it on top of those adjustments in layers it shows the removal.

Also when I open the photo as a smart object, I'm having problems duplicating the photo to do any kind of selection. it will only let me open a new white layer. With this issue I am not able to make any selections of the photo.

any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM

Re: looking for a little help!

Which photo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Do I have to show the photo? It doesn't really have anything to do with a specific photo. I just need to know in general if I have to finish all of my cloning/healing/etc. before I do layer (selection) adjustments? and then there's the other question..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Patron

First it would be helpful if you could tell us what software you are using for photo editing.
I have assumed a version of Photoshop below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnecessaryhabi View Post
Do you have to clean photos up such as removing items, cleaning up a face, adding items, etc. before you can do layer adjustments?
No. But it is sensible to duplicate background layer or add a layer above original background before any clean up. Then add adjustment layers as required

I was working on this photo the other night and had done some clean up and then went in and masked certain parts to do layer adjustments and after I did those I wanted to remove something from the photo. So I removed something, but since the layer is under the adjustments it doesn't show the removal that I made and if I place it on top of those adjustments in layers it shows the removal.
Ideally you should ensure that major removals done prior to masking for other adjustment layers. If you do realise after the event you can copy all the work you have done to a new layer by Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E (PC). Then starting on this combined layer you can add more.

Also when I open the photo as a smart object, I'm having problems duplicating the photo to do any kind of selection. it will only let me open a new white layer. With this issue I am not able to make any selections of the photo.
If I understand correctly you are opening an original RAW as a smart object and then trying to work directly on this? AFAIK you will need to rasterise the object first - you should get a dialogue box "The smart object must be rasterised before proceeding"
But you should be able to add adjustment layers as normal without rasterising.

Do I have to show the photo?
Not necessarily however most of us a image orientated and therefore an image even including your layer adjustments can help us to help you
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 PM

oh yes, sorry.. that would make sense! I am using Photoshop. I'm also on a mac so I will have to figure out what the key command is to copy the layers if I want to do any removal, etc. after adding adjustments.

I can add adjustment layers fine after opening a RAW file as a smart object, I just cannot do any kind of cloning, selections, etc. I will look into rasterising.

thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Patron

I think that these are the keys for Mac to PC
PC............. Mac
Ctrl ...........Command
Alt ........... Option

So Command + Shift + Option + E should do it!

Now to your cloning/selection issues.
I am guessing that you are trying to work directly on the smart object. If so forget that (and rasterising!) and instead add a new blank layer above smart object for your cloning work. Set the cloning sample box to current and below and making sure that your blank layer is active start cloning

Several ways to get selection but a quick way is to use your selection tool as normal on the smart object then press Command+J - this will copy your selection to a new layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 PM

looks like when I open a photo as a smart object it will let me clone but I cannot use the healing brush/patch tool on a blank layer above it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Patron

I don't think it has anything to do with the smart object and you should get the same effect if you try with just a normal background with a blank layer above.

You cannot use the patch tool because you are working on a blank layer AFAIK you cannot set it to sample other layers - if you try you should get a dialogue box telling you this. So for this to work you need a duplicate of your background layer and patch on that.

With the Healing brush you need to select either Current & Below or All Layers in the Sample:drop down box at the top of the screen - similar to the Clone tool
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing