RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Gradient Map

Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Gradient Map

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with the gradient map and haven't been able to get too far with it. Argh. When I add the new adjustment layer for gradient map, my image switches to infrared (it looks like a film negative). It doesn't give me the box with the slide bar gradient that should automatically pop up. All I get is my image looking like a negative when I make that new layer. What is going on? Any suggestions? Is there a way I can change my Photoshop settings back to default and maybe that will solve the problem? I am working in PSCS4. Thanks so much for any advice!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Re: Gradient Map

Is your adjustments panel visible?

On the adjustments panel you should see the current gradient with a drop down arrow just to the right of it where you can select different gradients

HTH Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 AM

As Nancy said, the adjustment will be visible in the Adjustments Panel.
(Window > Adjustments; or doubleclick the icon on your adjustment layer)

It looks "negative" because your default gradient probably goes from white to black.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks! Yes, I figured it out this am, my default gradient DOES go from white to black, instead of black to white. I tried to rearrange the order but PS won't let me move them. Very frustrating but I'll just have to get used to it, unless someone knows how to change the order of the gradients. I have already re-set my gradients to default under the arrow key and this is the order it gave me. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 PM

The default gradient goes from "foreground" to "background" so it depends on the colours set in your tools palette. Hit 'D' to reset to Default colours (Black to white).

Anyway; you usually want to choose colours for the gradient manually anyway unless you are using it for a mask (then 'Foreground to transparent' is my favourite gradient).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM

When you apply a gradient map adjustment layer, you will see a horizontal bar - that is the gradient - double click on the bar to open the gradient editor. If the reverse box is checked, uncheck it. You usually want the dither box checked. You will see the thumbs of various gradients (that you can select) and below that a horizontal bar. If your default colors were BW then the bar is BW or whatever the default map was. Below each end is a square box. Double click on the box to select any color you wish - it opens the color picker. You can also add a square anywhere by clicking below the bar - which gives you another square to double click and pick any color. You will also see a triangle on each side of a center square that can be moved with the mouse to adjust things. You can add as many squares (colors) as you wish. If you make one you like you can save it, name it, and it will be in the thumbs until you delete it. Gradient maps are wonderful for making BW images, especially above a hue / sat layer, and if on a mask you can vary the "blackness" of a black to transparent map. The next time you apply the adjustment it remembers the defaults you used last time (usually) so you have to change it to what you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 PM

To re arrange your gradients in the order you like them go upto PS menu bar and choose -

Edit > Preset Manager

Then select Gradients from the drop down menu at top left, now you can drag and drop each gradient icon around and into the order you want.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing