RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Help with composite

Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 AM

Help with composite

Hi

I am trying to composite an athlete into a HDR-photo from a parking lot. I want to give the impression that the athlete is punching the ground and thus creating a crack. Any pointers on how to make the composite better?

A larger version can be fond here:
http://wip.psportraitphoto.com/#1.4

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg composite_small.jpg (73.1 KB, 130 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 AM

Re: Help with composite

Long way to go with this one Peter. Firstly the pose is weak and way too polite. Add stress and tension to the pose by accentuating the movements. Don't be afraid to over do it. The force will be created by a strong vertical line from the head/shoulder/fist to the crack itself. Intuitively we know that the pose, as it is now, is more like a runner under starters orders rather than a body delivering sufficient power to crack concrete. The flame looks like it came from a birthday cake; think volcano and get some sparks and rock flying! The guy also looks way too happy - add some sinew/vein action around the neck and head and work on the eyes - the 'soul of the image'. Last but not least, sort out the lighting - never mind lighting the background, let the fierce flame dictate the lights/shadows; you can create a lot of dynamism form the potential colours generated! On the upside, you have all the image elements to sort this one out.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 PM

I can't really add much to Repairman's comments. It's like he "said it all". I myself would almost scrap this pose (unless you are locked into it - which isn't uncommon). And also, are you trying to punch a crack into the pavement - or create a fire explosion. I would go with the crack and skip the fire as it blocks the fist hitting the pavement, and the force causing the crack. Maybe some smoldering, but not a burst of flame.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Gotta agree with daygraphics, I would lose the fire as well, it's just seems to make the image too busy. Another thing I would mention would be that the lighting of the athlete seems to be inconsistent with the lighting of the background. There is a light shining basically right on the athlete from above and behind him, yet he seems to be lit more from the front than from anywhere else. I would tone down the frontal lighting and get a nice rim light going. You've got a nice side light on the athelete's right arm and on his left leg, but the image really makes no suggestion of where those lights would be coming from, which makes the image difficult for the eye to believe.
One more very small detail is that you've got a contact shadow on his right leg that extends all the way up to the ball of his foot. That is too high, the balls of his feet would not be making contact with the ground at that point.
Good concept though and you've got the right idea with the lighting. It's just a matter of positioning your lights a little differently so as to reflect the lighting in the environment!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Hey Peter,
Just noticed your post..is this the kind of thing you're after: http://500px.com/photo/2251163 or http://500px.com/photo/2251109

If it is let me know
Cheers,
Glyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynDewis View Post
Hey Peter,
Just noticed your post..is this the kind of thing you're after: http://500px.com/photo/2251163 or http://500px.com/photo/2251109

If it is let me know
Cheers,
Glyn
Wow those are amazing photos! I would love to be able to do something like that Any tips?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Hiya.

I've got a number of tutorials over on my blog but the one for this specifically is at: http://glyndewisblog.com/2011/08/12/...n-bodybuilder/

As for the cracks in the road, they're quite simple to add in by using an Overlay Blend Mode for example and a Mask.

Take a look at the blog and if there's anything I can help with then feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers,
Glyn
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing