RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Sea battle - realism tips

Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Smile Sea battle - realism tips

Hi there,

New to this forum, but saw some great work on here so would love to hear from you!

I am currently building out a half in/half the water, boat and plane battle and wanted to get some general crit, if anyone has any tips to up the realism in general.

Been working on making the camera lensing more realistic (i.e. drops on the lens etc) have drawn them in and used layer styles but might actually just get some real drops and composite them in.

I am going to be rendering a boat to stick in the middle that will have been hit and is exploding to the left of the prow, bits of material kicking up and out into the sea etc, but wanted to get the seascape right before putting it in (so ignore background the plane and boats)

Any other tips on maybe making the boat front and centre more dynamic? I was wondering if I should angle it over more and bring the viewpoint closer to the deck to give it a little more immediacy?

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...e/5d4b4329.jpg

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you J.

Last edited by thejollyone; 09-18-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Re: Sea battle - realism tips

Interesting job; but too small a file to crit!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Patron

thejollyone, Welcome to RetouchPRO
Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
Poke around, have fun!

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:

Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads:
(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image. (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)

As far as your work thus far.... I caught myself tilting my head trying to straighten the horizon... I think your view angle is a bit extreme if it is going to be a static picture.

Repairman is absolutely right though.. the pic is much to small to judge any of your other details
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Apologies - size amended, third party shrunk it

My apologies, was wondering what you were talking about, then clicked my link and realised it was postage stamp size!! ... I uploaded it at around 2000px across and I think the third party site shrunk it... :p

Anyway here is the photobucket version! Apologies again and if anyone can still spare me a mo to crit would be great!

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...e/5d4b4329.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Hi there,

Thanks 0lBaldy, much appreciated. Was my fault for not checking the link!

Have I put this in the right section? Seems like people have had a look but not had any feedback, again prob just not used to the forums!

Thanks again, look forward to hearing back.

J.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Patron

If I ignore background the plane and boats that does not leave much to offer advise on as a lot of the suggestions may be covered up by the new additions you are proposing.. so a bit more completion and skinning/rendering may enhance more comments.. A couple things that stood out to me are: If you are wanting realism in the lens contortions being half in and out of the water... the underwater portion of the boat would be huge and the upper part would be tiny in comparison.. The water spouts from the bullets or whatever seem to be getting bigger the farther away they get instead of smaller as the perspective would suggest.

Looks like it will be a GREAT looking render when completed.. Keep showing your WIPs (Work In Progress) and now that it is a little larger sample I am sure you will get some constructive feedback from much more knowledgeable people on here than me.

It might help also if there was an initial thumbnail posted so people would not have to leave the site to see what the thread is about.. Soooooo, I will post a thumb for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5d4b4329-Bigger.jpg (198.3 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 09-18-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Looking good so far. A few things jar: the water in the distance seems at a higher level than the foreground even allowing for wave swell. I'd be inclined to use an interesting sky to add drama rather than a scene stealing sun burst and reduce the amount of shelling (the boats going down why waste ammo!). Looking forward to seeing the render.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 AM

0lBaldy - Thanks a lot for the feedback, will keep posting the WIP so you can see it progressing. The main thing was trying to get the seascape sorted first, and then can sort the rest. I was wondering more about the boat itself but have a few ideas now, so am getting rendering and will keep you posted thanks again.

Repairman - Good point about the water, still need some things on the horizon so may see if I can re-jig it ... I was thinking about the sky, the thing is as it's going to be a really busy comp, I was wondering whether having a more complex sky may make the read a little more confused. I am going to give it a go and see how it looks, might be what i'm looking for.

The other thing was making sure the water looks convincing really as it's a big part and mostly painted and comped from lots of photos so as long as i'm on the right track with that the rest will 'hopefully' fall into place.

One more thing is the ship, want it to be the central focus, but wondered if there's a way to give a sinking ship more 'energy' ... there will be cables snapping flying towards the camera which will help, but I think the angle is key. May put up a few more thumbnails later and see if you have a favourite.

Thanks again for the help, sometimes you can just look at something for too long!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 AM

Skies and particularly cloudscapes can be used to draw attention to the main subject. They don't have to be crazy rain laden monsters; just a few mares tails or a mackeral sky can do it just as effectively. You can either leave a gap in the clouds which will form a 'halo' around the ship or choose a cloud pattern whose natural edges form a random (although contrived by you) series of lines toward the ship. Much in the way painters use objects and perspective within a composition to draw the viewers eye to the subject. As the scene indicates a Pacific battle it may be worth choosing an authentic sky to aid the narrative. Seems picky but you've done a lot of work so may as well go the extra mile!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Hi,

Thanks again for the feedback! Just a quick update so you can get a feel for the central ship ... still need to update the boats in the background and there will be one approaching the other boat to the right... getting there slowly! Is the sky working in your opinion?

Have sketched in some crane cables etc, still need to edit the central ship as it is just a raw render at the mo, but have started blowing it up. I am going to have parts breaking off falling back into the water, any ideas that might make it more dynamic would be fantastic!

Tried to add a thumbnail, says my limit is 100kb, must be doing something wrong! Be great if you could let me know how to add one (sorry!)

Feel free to be as harsh as you like!

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...ps71d92271.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing