Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Drawing a realistic cast shadow

Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Drawing a realistic cast shadow

Working on this composite right now:

There is definitely a long way to go in terms of realism, but I will take care of that. The image is in B&W now so that I won't be bothered by the current mismatch of colors.

The most important thing for now is the cast shadow. There is one light source, the sun, coming from the left of the frame (as you can see in the background). What's the best and easiest way to draw the shape of the cast shadow?

Tried some perspective shadow drawing, but that's seems a little complex for this shape, to me at least. Using the mask of the car as the shadow shape also doesn't seem to give the correct result.

The car was shot on an overcast day, reproduced the original shadows underneath the car, but there simply was no cast shadow at the time it was shot.

This is the kind of stuff I'm after.

Thanks in advance!

edit: Backlighting would be far more interesting if you ask me, but I'm choosing for this light direction because of the composition. I want a crop like this so a shadow that extends to the right side of the frame to fill up the negative space would provide a nice balance.

Backlight would be a possibility on a crop like this, but I'm not sure that's what I like. Please share your thoughts!

Last edited by mcdronkz; 10-15-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Additional information
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Re: Drawing a realistic cast shadow

If you have the image of the vehicle on a separate layer control click on that layer to select it create a new layer with the selection on it. fill it with black and then deselect use the transform options such a skew perspective and warp to put the shadow the way you want it. then add some gaussian blur to soften and reduce opacity if necessary.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing