RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Looking for some feedback

Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 AM

Thumbs up Looking for some feedback

Hey all,

Not sure how active this area here is, but I figured I'd post something and see if it sticks .

First off, big fan of Joel Grimes, Calvin Hollywood, Glyn Dewis and the likes.

Photography is just a hobby and I am not planning on doing this professionally at this time. Just having some fun and enjoying the learning process.

Looking for some feedback if I am heading down the right path with my compositing. I feel this is the area I want to concentrate on with my photography/post processing workflow.

Here are my 2 latest composites. Backgrounds are 3 brackets HDR's, talent was shot in my make shift home studio with 3 light setups. (2) side lights and (1) 22" BD for main.

Feel free to chime in, but please be gentle .

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_3350-HDR.jpg (89.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_3362-2.jpg (83.1 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Re: Looking for some feedback

Paul,
I think both of these images look fantastic! You seem to have the process of Joel and the others down pat. Remember what Joel always says in his interviews and tutorials, "Everyone is unique...". If you are satisified with the images and you have fulfilled your vision then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of your work. That said, you seem to maybe not be so sure if you've hit your mark, hence asking for critiques.
So, here is mine:
The basic composition of both is good however the backgrounds are a little overpowering. They are drawing my attention away from the models. Perhaps you could slightly desaturate the backgrounds or add a little smoke or fog?
I the second image there is too much light on the models left arm there is no obvious source and it is not affecting the background.
Again in the second image, the glowing energy sphere suspended in his hands doesn't look quite right. The fingers on his right hand seem to be inside the sphere. Maybe you could mask his fingers and have rays passing from between them?

In any event you are well on your way to mastering the process.

Cheers!

Len
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Len,

Many thanks for the reply. I so totally agree with your first statement . In the world of likes and +1's, it's hard to gauge progress if no one actually says anything constructive back to you.

Thank you for the feedback. I will keep in mind the points you gave me for my future work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM

Not bad looking stuff, very stylistic. I'm a fan of localized contrast.

- Match your lenses / perspectives. The girl is probably the biggest offender. The shot isn't low enough and being so close to the lens, she should look really distorted - but she doesn't I would venture to guess she was shot with a typical portrait lens, but then comped into the foreground of what looks like a good 20ish mm lens low angle shot. I'm not saying you can't put a 50mm field of view into a 20mm field of view, you certainly can, but you *can't* have the 50mm shot be so big and in the foreground - she would need to be scaled down and put deeper into the shot, then distorted to match the wider angle lenses perspective lines. Getting perspective correct is one of those little things that will separate you from the pack in this genre really fast - most people making these types of shots get it all wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback cardmaverick. Will keep that in mind for my future composites.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing