RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Help with creating shadow

Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Help with creating shadow

I am making a composite night time street image in which I am trying to place this couple. The light source is coming from behind and to the left of the couple. Approx in the top left corner of the image I have attached. I have tried using a drop shadow and transforming it and also tried making a shadow from the couple and transforming it. Because the mans feet are at an angle the shadow just does not work. Any advice on how to get a realistic shadow?
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _CKA2427.jpg (82.0 KB, 228 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Re: Help with creating shadow

26 views and nobody knows how to help me. I was certain that somebody would know how to solve this problem :-(
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Patron

Views don't equal possible help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Without knowing the strength of the light source it is impossible to guage the shadow. Surely the lighting on the couple needs sorting out aswell?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Without knowing the strength of the light source it is impossible to guage the shadow. Surely the lighting on the couple needs sorting out aswell?
You are absolutely right, the lighting on the couple needs to be sorted as well.
Perhaps I have not explained myself very well. The problem I have is actually creating a shadow that actually attaches correctly to the feet of the models and does not severely distort the rest of the shadow. I do not think the strength of the light source will have any effect on that particular problem. I would have thought that the only thing the strength of the shadow would effect is the density and drop-off of the shadow or am I missing something?

Colin
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 AM

Context is everything Colin and it's difficult without a few more visual clues. However i see the tilted shoes as a bonus because you can keep a sliver/wedge of light underneath which will animate the pose. I reckon if you get lighting sorted for the torsos, the shadows will suggest themselves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKAJCA View Post
The problem I have is actually creating a shadow that actually attaches correctly to the feet of the models and does not severely distort the rest of the shadow.
You can't just take an overall selection of them, fill with black, skew/transform it and expect it to line up with each of their feet simultaneously. You have to do it one leg at a time. Then also paint in grounding shadows at each foot's point of contact. Then fade and/or blur the shadow the further it gets from them, depending on the strength and character of your light source.

Break it down into manageable components, each leg on it's own layer, then all grounding shadows can be painted onto one blank layer above them, and then perhaps all shadow layers into one group to be masked/faded as a whole.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Smile Re: Help with creating shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
You can't just take an overall selection of them, fill with black, skew/transform it and expect it to line up with each of their feet simultaneously. You have to do it one leg at a time. Then also paint in grounding shadows at each foot's point of contact. Then fade and/or blur the shadow the further it gets from them, depending on the strength and character of your light source.

Break it down into manageable components, each leg on it's own layer, then all grounding shadows can be painted onto one blank layer above them, and then perhaps all shadow layers into one group to be masked/faded as a whole.
Thank you for that very helpful advice, much appreciated. I will try doing it that way
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Sure. Let us know how it goes. Remember also to put your shadow layers in Multiply blend mode so that they blend into your bg.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM

Make a curve, pull it down to darken, and then just draw in a shadow.
Most shadows are quite simple when you look at them....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing