RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

I've pretty well maxed out my left brain in creati

Old 12-11-2014, 01:57 PM

I've pretty well maxed out my left brain in creati

I've pretty well maxed out my left brain in creating this and my artistic right brain is a failure.
Each of the orbs is on it's own layer as is the galaxy thingy...would like some help in their layout on the background.
Suggestions would really be appreciated...thanks!

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...black-copy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Re: I've pretty well maxed out my left brain in cr

What was your goal? I think you need more than arrangement. There isn't any evidence of stray light from stars obscuring your clear view of the further planets. In my opinion they're a bit too clear relative to the front ones. I'm also not the biggest fan of treating planets as emitters of lumination. Here's something I came across a year ago for inspiration. I'm linking it just because it involves planets, and it's impressive. I don't know how I would have even loaded so much geometry without using low res standins and proxies for pretty much everything.

Anyway things I'm looking for are a little more dynamic feel with the way the light originates. There's nothing to tell me that they're being lit by a star or stars from a particular direction, something different in terms of arrangement that makes implications regarding their gravitational fields or just some kind of arrangement. When I look at the scale of their textures combined with their relative sizes, I feel like in several of these, their gravitational fields would affect one another, yet I don't see it in the way they're positioned. I also feel like your textures are scaled too large in general, but the resolution of the source images looks pretty weak to the point where it's near breaking. Remember that when you project something onto a spherical object, it requires more resolution than the same area on the source image. You are basically projecting a sampling of pixels onto each subdivided face of the model, which have to be filtered to smooth out any anti aliasing, then that from the camera angle onto another plane. Some degradation is inevitable, so the source textures are important.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Klev, I appreciate your comments...this is my first foray into creating a outer space image
from my previously taken images. The main planets were arranged in a spiral with no thought given
to the geometry involved. I will peruse more space images in the meantime. Another version is below.

BTW...I'm unable to find your link?

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...-orbs-copy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Patron

Klev, there wouldn't be any light from stars between the planets. They're way too far away; would only be point sources even if they weren't between planets.

Their gravitational fields do indeed effect one another. That's why they line up like they do, and orbit the Sun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Klev, there wouldn't be any light from stars between the planets. They're way too far away; would only be point sources even if they weren't between planets.

Their gravitational fields do indeed effect one another. That's why they line up like they do, and orbit the Sun.
I sort of worded that poorly, and I blame the lack of sleep. the planets here appear as if they emit their own light rather than reflecting a portion of the light from a neighboring star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmchauncey View Post
Klev, I appreciate your comments...this is my first foray into creating a outer space image
from my previously taken images. The main planets were arranged in a spiral with no thought given
to the geometry involved. I will peruse more space images in the meantime. Another version is below.

BTW...I'm unable to find your link?

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...-orbs-copy.jpg
That's because I forgot to include it. I don't have any affiliation with whoever made this. It's just the planetary theme reminded me of it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing