RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Draft composite - what would you do

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 AM
petersweden petersweden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 111
Re: Draft composite - what would you do

Is this how the lighting should have been in order to fit the background?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man-person-jumping-desert2.jpg (925.5 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 09-01-2016, 02:52 AM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: Draft composite - what would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersweden View Post
Is this how the lighting should have been in order to fit the background?


Not really. It's taken at a totally different time. I don't know how it is that you don't see she looks all one color. It's like you just took a brush and painted in her skin using color mode.

The background elements have distinct shadows and highlights and a direction to the lighting, none of which match each other or her. It's usually difficult for me to comment on these, because I wouldn't do most things the way you do them.

Her positioning doesn't bother me as much, although she feels out of place in this scene. Her hand also looks like it's closed. It doesn't appear as if it could be grasping that ledge.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 AM
skoobey skoobey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,374
Re: Draft composite - what would you do

Well yes, more like that angle lighting-wise.

About her position in relation to the backdrop, It's simply needs to match, forget about trying to calculate vanishing points, because you're not trying to shoot her from far away and fit her into the right corner of your viewfinder. Shoot tethered and and try to match. You need to develop your sense of perspective, keep practicing and it'll come.
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 09-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Profesh Profesh is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 21
Re: Draft composite - what would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersweden View Post
Would this work better?
Not really, no: for one, her orientation with respect to the cliff face implies that she should probably be hanging from the other side, but even if we overlook that discrepancy the location of the light-source would almost certainly present a near-total silhouette, and then of course there's the still more fundamental problem of introducing a figure shot from an overhead viewpoint into a scene being observed from below (which, ironically, a silhouette could at least somewhat disguise).

Not unsalvageable; but it certainly raises the question of why such obvious physical and logistical considerations weren't addressed at the outset, given the (potentially, several) hours of unnecessary and painstaking work now required to rectify the issue.

Edit: I'll try my hand at solving this later.

Last edited by Profesh; 09-01-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 09-01-2016, 10:37 PM
petersweden petersweden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 111
Re: Draft composite - what would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Well yes, more like that angle lighting-wise.

About her position in relation to the backdrop, It's simply needs to match, forget about trying to calculate vanishing points, because you're not trying to shoot her from far away and fit her into the right corner of your viewfinder. Shoot tethered and and try to match. You need to develop your sense of perspective, keep practicing and it'll come.
Ok I think now I see what you mean. I find perspective hard. Since I can see the top of her thigh but not the bottom that implies she was shot from above, right?
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 09-01-2016, 10:39 PM
petersweden petersweden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 111
Re: Draft composite - what would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesh View Post
Not really, no: for one, her orientation with respect to the cliff face implies that she should probably be hanging from the other side, but even if we overlook that discrepancy the location of the light-source would almost certainly present a near-total silhouette, and then of course there's the still more fundamental problem of introducing a figure shot from an overhead viewpoint into a scene being observed from below (which, ironically, a silhouette could at least somewhat disguise).

Not unsalvageable; but it certainly raises the question of why such obvious physical and logistical considerations weren't addressed at the outset, given the (potentially, several) hours of unnecessary and painstaking work now required to rectify the issue.

Edit: I'll try my hand at solving this later.
Thanks, looking forward to your result. Is it possible to change the background's perspective to better fit the model?
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with composite petersweden Photo Compositing 3 01-11-2012 01:47 AM
Help with composite petersweden Photo Compositing 6 01-04-2012 05:22 PM
Preparation for an ambitious composite shoot! harryduns Photography 4 11-11-2011 03:15 AM
A composite from a Newb GMDee Critiques 6 10-04-2011 04:59 AM
Shadows on composite images... jeppe Photo Retouching 5 12-16-2010 08:18 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved