RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Composite - feedback appreciated

Old 02-28-2017, 03:07 PM

Re: Composite - feedback appreciated

Don't get lost in principles, worry only if it looks right or not. If that is the main light source ,then the parachutes would've been lit from behind. Even if the yare in the haze, it wouldn't be so uniform if they are in the clouds; color still needs to match the image. It's an all yellow image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 PM

Another newbie here and would like to ask a couple of things here. OP, I hope you don't mind me chipping in with questions.

Would the OP would have managed it better with a less contrasty and less bright background? I mean, I know OP is trying to work with what he has but I guess using a blue sky with some sort of a sunset behind hills would have made things easier I guess?

Would adding dust/debris with some kind of a custom brush on some of the edges make things look better here?

I would have used a low contrast background without any light source and then worked on the objects thinking of a particular direction of light and then add the light source at the end and finish it with some solar flare or lens flare.

Not sure if what I said above makes sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 07:56 AM

He would still need to cut out out all the elements in front. So, no, not really. It's more about the angle of light in all the elements and how they match each other. He hasn't done enough of these to realize what fits right away.

Maybe, if you are going for the dirty look. It would make the image look dirty, not what's in the image.

You think of the image all at once, this is why you think about what you want before putting in elements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Now two of the guys are gray. Angles are good, but now the lighting on the parachutes definitely make no sense, ligt doesn't jump. Also, if the guy is that big in relation to the girl, he must be near, so yes he should be less sharp BUT NOT THAT MUTCH. One furthest away is blurred well, it's just that he is gray. Dial back blur 50% on the closest guy, and flip the parachute around on the guy next to the girl. Turn off that gray whatever made them gray. Use pen tool, channels, to refine masking on the hair, gun, skirt. Then add color to the hand and face. I would also remove that fake glow on her, since it's not consistent.
Any better? Masking still needs to be fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg war-469503_v5.jpg (935.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 05:44 PM

Addition to whats been said .... whether the image is meant to look real, or surreal, it still needs to follow basic physics rules.

- One of the first things is to pick components for the composite that in the end can look like the belong or can together.

- The light source you want to say is your primary is behind and all of your subjects. The reflections in the parachutes are too much to the side. With that blast of bright light that you say is your primarty source, the reflections on the parachutes would be closer to rim light, with "maybe" a dim reflection on the large parachute of the bright cloud thats on the left. I'd burn the reflection from half way to back on the chutes

- Is it suppose to be raining? or is that debris falling.

- The light on the soldier is just weird. It looks like she has a light under her skirt. As others have mentioned, the reflected light on her needs to be warmer. Using the source you say is the primary, I can see light reflecting off of her chest and arm, but the left side would be a darker, since it is away from the light source and blocked by her body. Looking at her arm thats holding the gun, there is clearly a light source on the ground, and off to the left? Is that your intent?

- The two smaller paratroopers look as if they are going to die in the fire, dictated by their relative size to the explosion clouds. Looks like they will LAND in the explosions.

- The contrast is odd on the two far paratroopers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2017, 01:21 PM

OK I made changes, what still needs to be fixed (besides masking which I haven't done yet)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg war-469503_v6.jpg (868.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Face is really dark all of a sudden. Brighten the face, even out the color of the skin(grey areas), refine the masks and get on with your life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersweden View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
1. How would you change the scale?
2. Should I motion blur the paratroopers and change the angles around?
3. In what way is the color palette odd (besides the gray face)?
This stuff takes a light touch. The color palette is odd in the sense that nothing seems consistent. They still look like they were shot on different days in different places. It doesn't look like the same light sources could have been present in the same scene. The grey face was definitely part of it.

The paratroopers have an odd perspective, and they're a bit large. The clouds or smoke or whatever look massive compared to the subject. As you mentioned in a later post, it is typical to see some haze. Typically the further away they are, the hazier they look, but the effect is subtle. You want to learn subtlety and how to balance things out. As I have indicated you should look for reference material, because it may help you recognize when something is drastically off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2017, 11:21 PM

The main issues I have during compositing are light and perspective.

For perspective, I have been lately using perspective lines drawn on a blank layer on top and then going from there. A couple of vanishing point tutorials here and there have helped me too.

But...

For managing light, I am not sure what method to use. I mean, I use curve layers and do bits of light painting on the composited items. But I am pretty sure there are better methods to get the light right.

How do you guys work with getting the light right in your composites? Do you guys use a curve layer and do light painting? Starting tips would be a great way for me to practice more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefhitler View Post
How do you guys work with getting the light right in your composites? Do you guys use a curve layer and do light painting? Starting tips would be a great way for me to practice more.
Adding light that was never there never looks 100% natural. At that point you are basically illustrating. You determine how warm/cold it should be relative to the scene and the kind of material it's hitting. Something like glass can produce a somewhat mirror like reflection. If it's a rougher surface, the light all blends together visually, but it doesn't have a strong tint on non-metallic surfaces. As always, look up lots of reference images. Go on google images. Look at several hundred. Look at them while you work. Pick up details about them. Without doing that, you really don't learn much.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing