RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Fashion composting - feedback please :)

Old 07-21-2017, 01:59 AM

Fashion composting - feedback please :)

Hello,
I would like to know what do you think about that composting I did. Do you found it realistic, if not what would you change?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ew.jpg (97.8 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Patron

Re: Fashion composting - feedback please :)

Well its a little hard to tell how far ahead of the background the subject is. A drop shadow may or may not help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DropShadow.jpg (103.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:15 AM

Something feels wrong about the sky - I would look at another images perhaps with some depth to it. Probably one with clouds moving to the horizon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2017, 04:41 AM
Patron

I know little about fashion shoots or compositing. I know that 'direct sun shaders'are often used with reflectors/lamps to control outdoor lighting. My comments are more about the 'degree' of lighting in the composition.
1. Take a close look at the consistency of highlights, mid-tones and shadows across the whole photo. The shadows on the woman look much deeper (black) than an outdoor setting would normally give (even if direct sunlight is blocked). Especially considering the highlights on her face, arms and legs. But accepting these, the shadows suggest that the sun is almost directly overhead. The beams, on the other hand seem to have a light source which is much lower and to the front. The shadow on the top beam is also much lighter than on the woman. Overhead lighting (across the beams) would normally show more texture and contrast. So my point is just to make the highlights/shadows more consistent.
2. I agree with tonyoau that the sky looks a bit flat. This is the main give-away that it's been pasted in. But it doesn't match the suggested light source either. The gradient would normally go the other way if the sun was overhead. Little color at the top (closer to the sun) and more color in the distance (further away).

Hope this helps. It was interesting to look at and think about!

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2017, 01:28 AM

Hey guys, thankyou so much. Your points are very interesting for me. Looking at my picture after one month or more I see right now that you've right saying that the clouds are really flat and should be more contrasted.. I was too not sure 100% of the realism of the picture but I didn't know what was not working, and that's a good point for fix it. @mikemorell: your point about the gradient is true too, but what about Gucci fashion campaign with Mert & Marcus? Try to look at their pictures, they have the lighter part of the gradient close to the horizon and the darker in the high sky... and the sun position appear more or less the same of mine. I just take their pics as reference fot that... but their pics are working, mine not LOL anyway thanks again, your considerations about the lightning are really interesting
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2017, 02:43 AM
Patron

I see what you mean about the Gucci campaign. I did say that I know very little about fashion shoots or compositing Come to think of it, gradients are used on a lot of landscape photos too to bring more color into the sky (from the top). So just ignore my comment. Taking the Gucci photos as a reference my comments on 'lighting' are irrelevant too!
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by limox91 View Post
@mikemorell: your point about the gradient is true too, but what about Gucci fashion campaign with Mert & Marcus? Try to look at their pictures, they have the lighter part of the gradient close to the horizon and the darker in the high sky... and the sun position appear more or less the same of mine. I just take their pics as reference fot that... but their pics are working, mine not LOL anyway thanks again, your considerations about the lightning are really interesting
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2017, 04:06 AM

I had a look at some Gucci ads and noted a couple of things.

They seem to saturated the colours
They often have a dark horizon line so the tone goes light-dark-light-dark up the photo

With that in mind, I would try change the sky to a low light cloud line going to a dark upper sky and drop the top cross beam altogether.

And on the bottom beam I would darken the top using some sort of dirt/girt mask until it was a lot darker than the clouds immediately above it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing