RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Photographic Edges

Old 12-17-2002, 03:54 PM

Here are a few more tutorials for creating decorative edges. I really like their halftone dot one.

EspressoGraphics.com

CreativePro.com

ENJOY!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T Paul
Here are a few more tutorials for creating decorative edges. I really like their halftone dot one.

EspressoGraphics.com

CreativePro.com

ENJOY!

~T
Thanks again!

One thing that would help me is getting some more artistic brushes. After all the hype about the new brush engine in PS7, I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of "real" paint brush tips. I've tried the web brushes but haven't found any that really blow me away for what I'm trying to do with edges. I guess I need to create some myself...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 04:21 PM

Adobe Xchange has some great brush sets. You might try looking there.

Adobe Studio Exchange

And RetouchPro has a thread with some brushes as well.
Go here . You will have to scroll through this thread as it has actions, textures and brushes.

~T

Last edited by T Paul; 12-17-2002 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 08:12 PM

Hi Jaz,

These are all quite easy to do in photoshop without any fancy expensive filters. Sounds like you're looking for something funky-looking.
What you can do is make your own displacement maps in photoshop by opening a new file and making all sorts of rough paint scratches all over the file, or, take some part of a picture and rake it up however you like, such as the file attached here.
Then save it as a .psd file and name it something like displace1.psd or some name you can remember. Make a bunch of these and save them in a folder just for displacement maps.

When you want to use one, say for edges, then open a picture, double click the background layer to make it layer 0 (that way you can unlock it and move it up and down the layer stack). Add a new layer and fill it with white and move it below layer 0 so the white layer is beneath. Make a rectangle or square selection around the 0 layer (where you want to apply the edge effect), then click the layer mask button on the bottom left of the tools pallette. The layer mask is now there, but don't apply it yet because it's this layer mask that you'll displace. If all is right you should see some of the white layer around the perimeter of your picture now.
In order to apply the edge filter technique here you need to filter the layer mask of layer 0. Make sure you're applying the effect to the layer mask, not the actual layer.
So with the layer mask active on layer 0, go to filter>displace, and choose settings such as
Horizontal 3
Vertical 5
Displacement map = Tile
Undefined Areas = Repeat Edge Pixels

Click Ok and then you'll be asked for a source file for the displacement map. Browse through your computer and find the .psd file you made for your displacement map and click it.
Voila.
If you don't like it, edit>undo, and change the settings, or change to a different displacement map, etc.
It's a lot of fun to make your own - you don't need an expensive filter for this.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rough2.jpg (66.6 KB, 330 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 08:13 PM

Here's a sample of something I just did in ten minutes with the attached displacement map and some colour filters to give you an idea of what it can do. The combinations are endless.

mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muckup.jpg (58.0 KB, 335 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 09:03 PM

That looks really great, Mig...I'm wondering if I can do a similar thing by creating custom brushes...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 12:13 PM

I would like to recreate a Filed Negative Carrier effect in Photoshop. These "sloppy" borders are getting very nice but the FNC is what I'm trying to accomplish.

Mig, do you know what I am referring to and if so, can you create one? I've had lots of luck with filters (sprayed stroke, tile, grain, blur) on a stroke but never used the displacement map.

Here's what I do.

1. Open Image
2. Rename layer to "something"
3. Create new blank layer
4. Expand new layer canvas to 110%
5. Shift select original layer
6. Apply 40 pixel stroke
7. Expand the stroke by 10 pixels (moves the selection in)
8. Inverse selection
9. Apply tiles
10. Apply sprayed strokes
11. Apply grain (horiz & vert)
12. Blur

This works for me and has given nice results but still not the framed negative carrier look.

http://www.pbase.com/image/11625092.jpg

Any ideas?

Sample Image
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 05:13 PM

Question FNC?

Hi,
I am new to this! I love the edge I tried the steps, but I must be missing something. is there a step before expand? something does not seem right. I have ps7.

Thanks,

Sue
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2003, 08:20 AM

You want to expand the new (background) canvas and not the picture. This will give you a white border around the origina.

The goal is to stroke the layer behind the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2003, 06:51 AM

edge

Hi,

thanks, I will have to try that agian! maybe I'll get it this time!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing