RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Photographic Edges

Old 12-17-2002, 06:24 AM

Photographic Edges

For some reason, my other post about this got deleted...

Anyway, I'm looking for tips on photographic edges. A buddy of mine has Auto F/X photographics edges which I used to make this picture:

http://www.jackzucker.com/Caribbean/pelicantemp.jpg

The effect is wonderful but I found the package to be small on features. You get 7 or 8 templates for edges and many are similar. You also get some frames which were not worthwhile to me and some vignettes which could easily be created with masks and guassian blurring...I can't see paying $199 for the package.

Here are a couple I've done using brushes, spatter, blurring, etc...

http://www.jackzucker.com/finearts/i...0389_web_2.jpg
http://www.jackzucker.com/images/finearts/lily1wc.jpg
http://www.jackzucker.com/finearts/DSCF0599_copy.jpg

I've seen the various tutorials for torn and burnt edges but was wondering if there were any other packages which had more features than Auto F/X out there.

What do you guys do?

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 01:18 PM

Wetzel & Company has a CD of 30 edges and borders for $29.95.
Click here to check it out. I haven't used this software, but it may be what you are looking for. They offer a PDF printout of the images as thumbnails for your review.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 01:58 PM
Janitor

The Auto f/x package you speak of has over 1 gig of available edges, and each can be infinitely edited and adjusted. The few templates you mention are simply included to help introduce the package.

Check out my review over in the Plugins section of our Product Reviews Database for my complete opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
The Auto f/x package you speak of has over 1 gig of available edges, and each can be infinitely edited and adjusted. The few templates you mention are simply included to help introduce the package.

Check out my review over in the Plugins section of our Product Reviews Database for my complete opinion.
How do you get the other edges? Do you have to buy them or can you simply download them?

I have to tell you that I'm not impressed with their User Interface which is klunky and Veeeeeeeeeeeery slow. I can't believe how long it takes to update a D60 sized image...Probably 60 seconds on my 2gz P4 machine with 512MB memory and 60gb disk.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Janitor

All edges are included, as it comes on 3 cd-roms.

As for speed, there's nothing slow about taking only 60 seconds to render photorealistic images from vector data, no matter what package you're using.

As for non-plugin methods, Jak's tutorial on vignetteing has the basic steps that can be elaborated on to make some striking edges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
All edges are included, as it comes on 3 cd-roms.

As for speed, there's nothing slow about taking only 60 seconds to render photorealistic images from vector data, no matter what package you're using.
I'm sorry but that's ridiculous to me. Try doing a batch of 50 photos...In fact, i'm not sure you can even run their software in batch mode. For what it's worth, I thought the extensis photo-frames worked much smoother and had a better UI.
Quote:

As for non-plugin methods, Jak's tutorial on vignetteing has the basic steps that can be elaborated on to make some striking edges.
Yeah, been there done that. I'm talking about edges like this:

www.jackzucker.com/Caribbean/lantern.jpg
www.jackzucker.com/Caribbean/xmas.jpg

Last edited by jaz; 12-17-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 03:10 PM

Seems that Auto FX and Extensis have the two strongest Photo Edges software packages out there.

I did find another plugin that cost less and offers a variety of photo edges.

Quote:
Edge and Frame Galaxy ... is a vast set of edges and frames to use in your composition. ... Applying a frame is an easy process ... Edge and Frame Galaxy is a comprehensive and afforable package.
Again, I haven't used this product, but it might be along the lines of what you are looking for. Click here for more information.

Also here is a quick tutorial on how to creat photo edges using quick mask. I usually just make my own.

Photo Edges Tut

~T

Last edited by T Paul; 12-17-2002 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 03:25 PM

Here is one other tutorial on creating Cool Edges from the Wacom web site.

Cool Edges Tut

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the tutorial. That's basically what I've been doing except I think I'm now going to save the edges as alpha channels. I like your ripple technique. I hadn't tried that.

I combined that with radial blur, spatter and texturizer here:

http://www.jackzucker.com/Caribbean/pink.jpg

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 03:34 PM

You've submitted some very nice images in this thread. Just think of the photo edges as part of the artistic process. Half the fun will be creating them!

Also you might try pricegrabber.com as they usually have the big software at lower prices.

Best of Luck!

~T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing