RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Mask around trees

Old 02-29-2004, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondon
I often have the same problem with the tree line... before flattening the layers you might try a small soft eraser set at 50% or so to soften the edges of trees that are troublesome...

more often I try to find a replacement sky with nice clouds that can be positioned so that the tone matches the original at the tree line... this way I don't need to erase as much detail. adjustments can me made until you see the "line of demarcation" fade away... if then the sky is too bland you can use the stamp tool set on multiply to bring in more detail... either before or after flattening the image.
like other things... this sometimes works.

I'd guess the flowers were more troublesome then the tree line... looks good tho.
Yes, the reflection with the flowers overlaying it was very time consuming. Thanks for taking a look and the input.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 09:05 AM

Hi Don!

Is this what you'd like to achieve by 'masking the sky'?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Palm.jpg (93.1 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi Don!

Is this what you'd like to achieve by 'masking the sky'?
Yes, for your example, that is exactly what I had in mind. The myriad nooks and crannies of the sky among the foliage is very time consuming. I've also seen, however, that especially on horizon shots like the shot I was working on (I'll be happy to post a link to the original this evening), that there is not a well-defined color boundary against/within the trees that can easily be selected with the magic wand or select highlights. I'm invariably left, after cutting, with a light outline of residual sky against the trees. In this image, after cutting the majority of the sky, I had to go back and use the clone or erasure tools at great magnification to resolve this issue. I could probably use feathering but I'm not convinced that would get everything either. Maybe I'm wrong. Your example was a foreground object with well-defined boundaries.

What was your secret?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPhotoGuy
Yes, for your example, that is exactly what I had in mind. The myriad nooks and crannies of the sky among the foliage is very time consuming. I've also seen, however, that especially on horizon shots like the shot I was working on (I'll be happy to post a link to the original this evening), that there is not a well-defined color boundary against/within the trees that can easily be selected with the magic wand or select highlights. I'm invariably left, after cutting, with a light outline of residual sky against the trees. In this image, after cutting the majority of the sky, I had to go back and use the clone or erasure tools at great magnification to resolve this issue. I could probably use feathering but I'm not convinced that would get everything either. Maybe I'm wrong. Your example was a foreground object with well-defined boundaries.

What was your secret?
Here's the original. http://www.lightfantasticphotography...v_disp_pic.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 03:38 AM

I'd like to know Flora's secret too !

I wasn't able to get a good tree line either .... but here's what I ended up with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reflections-alternate.jpg (94.7 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 09:06 AM

OK, I'm stnading in line too..:)

Flora- I'd be forever in debt if you were able to take the original image and achieve the same success as with the work you shared!! I'd follow that up with a little irish jig if you then shared your technique step by step!!! I've run across the same problem that NW is having and I believe YOU hold the key. Thanks bunches for any additional input you may offer!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 PM

Hi everybody!

Rondon,

I think you did a great job in masking the sky!!!

Don, DigitalinDC, Rondon

... here is what I managed to do working on the original .... As for my secret for achieving it, given the 100KB limit of attachment size in the posts, I was thinking about writing a (step by step) tutorial tomorrow....

P.S. I dislike very much 'flat' coloured backgrounds .... I only used a flat blue for the sky so the tree-line against it is more visible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_reflectionlks.jpg (98.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Flora; 03-03-2004 at 03:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Hi everybody!

Rondon,

I think you did a great job in masking the sky!!!

Don, DigitalinDC, Rondon

... here is what I managed to do working on the original .... As for my secret for achieving it, given the 100KB limit of attachment size in the posts, I was thinking about writing a (step by step) tutorial tomorrow....

P.S. I dislike very much 'flat' coloured backgrounds .... I only used a flat blue for the sky so the tree-line against it is more visible!
Thank you, Flora, I'm looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 PM

Hi everybody!

....here is my 'secret' unveiled ....

Don,

for your picture I didn't use the 'Hue/Saturation' as explained in the last part of the Tutorial ....

Since the 'leftover' colour tinge from the original background in your picture was nearly white, I did the following:
  • Created an empty Layer on top of all the others (blending > Darken).
  • Selected a soft (fuzzy) brush (Opacity 30/60%).
  • Alt + left click in a sky area close to the tree-line to pick the right colour.
  • Painted over the tree-line to blend it in with the rest of the sky.

Hope this could help.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2004, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hi everybody!

....here is my 'secret' unveiled ....

Don,

for your picture I didn't use the 'Hue/Saturation' as explained in the last part of the Tutorial ....

Since the 'leftover' colour tinge from the original background in your picture was nearly white, I did the following:
  • Created an empty Layer on top of all the others (blending > Darken).
  • Selected a soft (fuzzy) brush (Opacity 30/60%).
  • Alt + left click in a sky area close to the tree-line to pick the right colour.
  • Painted over the tree-line to blend it in with the rest of the sky.

Hope this could help.

That's fabulous, Flora, thank you so much!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing