RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Big problem with a pageant enhancement

Old 03-09-2005, 08:39 PM

Yes, I can notice the difference the customer mentioned.
Here is where the differences are:
(layered images over each other, and changed top layer mode to difference).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg difference.jpg (15.6 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 10:04 PM

Vikki, that succinct little ditty is worth the price of admission to this wonderful site. And most don't pay! A great idea that I can retain in my relatively small brain.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 PM

@vikki, i have a question regarding the difference mode. those two pictures have many differences but only the huge ones are visible in the difference mode. how can i make the tiny differences clearly visible too? its like soft selections, when theyre so tiny or soft that the marching-ants dont appear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 05:48 AM

limaze, I don't know the answer to your question. What you can try.... follow my instructions below, then flatten the image and invert it. You could then tweak it with levels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 AM

Smile

Thanks for all the great input!! I had one more idea after I posted this thread and it seems to have worked. I had sent the "sharper" proof as a smaller file than the "less sharp" ones. I noticed how in photoshop when I had a photo that was reduced at an odd value to make it fit on the screen, it looked like the edges were rough. I decided that perhaps whatever software my customer was using to view the photo was reducing it in such a way that it did not appear sharp. So I made the "less sharp" proof exactly the same size and resolution as the "sharp" one and sent them both back to her. Not sure if any of that makes sense but at any rate she says they now look exactly the same and is thrilled!

Someone had suggested that maybe the customer could be trying to take advantage of me. I wondered that too until she offered to pay me even though she wasn't satisfied and without me asking. The proofs I gave her were always low resolution and marked as proofs. Does anyone think it's a bad idea to give proofs like this in the future? I thought it seemed pretty safe but I'm new to this, I really don't know.

I'm attaching the original photo I started from. Thanks for all the compliments on my work. I can't wait until I get internet at home and am able to spend more time here. You guys are great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (37.4 KB, 152 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Sorry LeAnne-I didn't mean to jump so quickly to that conclusion. Although I live in upstate NY now, the city girl in me still pops out to remind me that not everyone is honest. As I said though, I'm no expert on pagents, and upon futher thinking, I can fully understand her pickiness. The fact that she offered to pay you anyway without your asking says it all. I think you're doing it the right way. As long as you protect yourself like you are, you should be ok. But, I would do some research on this. Look up other companies doing the same thing and find out how they do it. You should always have up to date info on the competition anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 11:40 AM

No need for apologies, Fizzgiz! Like I said, I wondered the same thing you did. I tend to be an overly trusting person and I have to really watch myself sometimes and getting other people's opinions of these situations helps me to do that. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 09:21 PM

I am seriously impressed by the retouching in this (especially the skintone and the eyes). I don't know how it would not be sufficient but you know pageant moms :-) You get them now and I get them when they are high school seniors. Talk about diva syndrome! Sheesh!

Very impressive retouch - way beyond my current level but I am learning

Good work and hope you figure out what you need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 07:29 PM

pageant photo

I def. think the second photo does not show a shadow under the nose. Was that your question?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration