RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Big problem with a pageant enhancement

Old 03-09-2005, 05:00 PM

Big problem with a pageant enhancement

Hi everyone. I've got a big problem.

I am thisclose to finishing my first pageant enhancement (thanks to everyone who helped me with the eyelashes!!). I had the photoshop file I was working with stored on a USB drive and an older copy saved to the desktop of my computer. My USB drive failed, and I had to go back to my older copy and redo a few of the changes the customer had asked me to make on the last proof. The customer said that on the resulting proof, the sharpness was not nearly as good as before and that it would not be sufficient to use for competition.

At first I thought I had saved a lower quality proof file and so I sent her a new higher quality proof, but with the same result. So I asked her to send me a copy of the older proof that she was comparing the new, supposedly less sharp copy to. She did and it looks to me like the newer proof looks at least as sharp, if not sharper than the older one! Several of my coworkers agree. She said she sent it to some of her friends and they agree with her.

She offered to pay me anyway but I'm not concerned about the payment. I really poured a lot of time and effort into this job, and I need to know if I didn't do something right. I'm attaching the two proofs, does anyone else think that the photo with the shadow under the nose looks sharper than the one without the shadow?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and look at the photos. I just don't know what to think about it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proof1.jpg (86.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg proof2.jpg (85.3 KB, 249 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 06:33 PM

I usually check this kind problem by histogram, compared the two histograms, I reach the conclusion the one(filename proof1) has much more details than that proof2. Only my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 06:38 PM

Very interesting. How do you compare the histograms?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 07:06 PM

im not sure but i guess he means this (higher means more detail):
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs19&d=05104&f...s_contrast.gif
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 PM

Hi LeAnne,
I'm no expert, but I opened up each picture in a seperate window and toggled back and forth between them. What I see is that the first picture has darker eyebrows, along with the shadow under her nose. Also, the light spots in her eyes are slightly bigger, giving the illusion that her eye color is slightly darker. All of these features seem to me to give the impression that the first picture is sharper. When I look only at the rest of the picture in sections as I toggle, there seems to be no other difference. So, my opinion is that due to those features being slightly changed, it creates the illusion of the first picture being sharper. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 07:12 PM

BTW, beautiful job!!
Jessy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM

i have a btw too
do you still have the original photo? i would love to see with what picture you started from.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeAnne
Very interesting. How do you compare the histograms?
I put proof1 on top of proof2, hide/show top layer and watch the histogram. much easier to read the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg histogram.jpg (72.4 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 08:27 PM

It's really interesting to see the difference in histograms between two pictures that may seem to have only minor differences to the naked eye. I wonder if the differences I see and posted before, have that much impact on a histogram. I'm looking foward to reading others opinions on this. Oh, another BTW LeAnne, although I prefer the first picture as being more pleasing to my personal eye, I can't understand how either one would not be "sufficient" for competition. I would have a few choice words to say to that customer, and would certainly hold back in giving out proofs in the future. It seems to me that she might be looking to take advantage of you. But, on the other hand, I really don't know anything about professional pagent retouching, so I might be way off. Either way, I agree with realaqu in that I would also love to see the original picture you started from.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 PM

Sorry, that was limaze who wanted to see the original. I got names mixed up.
Jessy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration