Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Photo Restoration

Old 03-12-2005, 07:37 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderle
I can't see how the 8x10 is the correct color. That is the scan from a faded print. There is about a quarter of an inch all the way around the print that was covered with a mat. The colors in that area most closely match those of the 3.3 scan.
Welcome to RP. Like Juliana, I think the 8X10 looks best of the three, although not perfect by any means. Is it possible you had your scanner set to "restore color" when you scanned the pic? Is your monitor calibrated, or at least somewhat close?

Gary and Flora, as well as philbach did a nice job with the pic. But that's expected!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 PM

Thanks for all of the ideas. I haven't had a chance yet to try them out.

FYI, my monitor and scanner are calibrated. My scans did not have any correction turned on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 11:03 AM

Hi ED!

Just force of habit to think in terms of correcting the colour to produce the best image possible......must be the lab technician brainwash...er I mean training

To me the 8x10 looks the closest to what the original probably looked like before it faded...I think I said that in a roundabout way
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Hi ED!

Just force of habit to think in terms of correcting the colour to produce the best image possible......must be the lab technician brainwash...er I mean training

To me the 8x10 looks the closest to what the original probably looked like before it faded...I think I said that in a roundabout way
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 12:22 PM

Juliana, Ed,

I nearly fell for that 'trap' myself ....

Even though, in his post, Sanderle listed the pictures as follows:

1 good (3x3 print)
2 bad (8x10 print)
3 bad color matched ( color matched with good, neutralize)
8x10

The pictures uploaded in the wrong order .... so their physical order is:

1 bad (8x10 print) ... the faded one
2 good (3x3 print)
8x10

Luckily Sanderle named his picture .... but once downloaded I still checked their size just to make sure....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 09:47 PM

Flora, I tried your suggestion. Initially, it didn't work very well because I couldn't get things to line up. But, I looked at the actual 3x3 print, and it had crop marks eliminating some of the sky. After applying that cropping to the scanned image, things line up much better.

The only downfall now, is that is seem to be losing detail in the foreground grasses. Is that a side effect of this technique? I'm also getting areas of magenta under the darker grasses. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help. My parents will be extremely happy to have this restored!! I may even print a version in B&W. I think it looks good that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 05:46 AM

Hi sanderle,

thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderle
The only downfall now, is that is seem to be losing detail in the foreground grasses. Is that a side effect of this technique? I'm also getting areas of magenta under the darker grasses. Any ideas?
I wrote this Mini-Tutorial on this technique for everyone who would like to try it ...
  • Open Good and unretouched Bad pictures.

• Keeping the Shift Key pressed, 'drag' the Good picture on top of the Bad one (the new Good Layer will be perfectly centered on top of the Bad one > Attachment 1).

• Change the Good Layer Blending to 'Difference' (Attachment 2).

• Make a selection of your Good layer and go to Edit>Free Transform... (the 'marching ants' will change to a square with handles) ... pull the horizontal and vertical handles until your Layers are *nearly* perfectly aligned and the Image has turned practically black > Attachment 3)

• Change the Good Layer's Blending from 'Difference' to 'Color'.... and enjoy it ....
Don't crop!! .... Once the Layers have been aligned and you have 'accepted' the changes, Photoshop will do it automatically for you!!!

Getting there ... but the size difference leaves 'uncovered' a small border on 'my' left side and bottom of the picture ... (Attachment 4).... At this point, you can *now* crop your picture at 8x10 trying to cut out the uncovered borders... or continue as follows ...
  • Duplicate the Corrected Good Layer, create a Layer Mask for it and, clicking on the 'eye' on the left, hide it from view.

• Go down to the originally corrected Good Layer and, with the 'Move Tool', move it to the left and down until the 'borders' have been covered. (Don't worry if the colors in the rest of the picture become 'unaligned' ... We'll correct it right now!!!)

• Create a Black (Hide All) Layer mask for this 'moved' Layer and, with a soft White Brush (Opacity 100%), paint over the 'uncovered borders' (and a bit beyond ....) to uncover the 'right color underneath.

• Go to the top Layer and, clicking on the 'eye' on the left, 'unhide it .... You might see a thin off-colour line where the two Layers overlap .... No problem .... with a soft Black Brush (Opacity 100% and diameter just enough to cover the thin line), paint over the 'line' to remove it. (Attachment 5).

• Merged Visible ... (the action for merging 'visible' without losing the underlying 'steps' can be downloaded here).

Gosh... I know it must look terribly complicated ..... but, until merging, you only have 3 Layers .... Actually, it took me 10 minutes to do .... and over an hour to write it all down ....

After this, you can still do some colour, tone contrast and sharpness adjustments ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Difference.jpg (96.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Difference-(1).jpg (100.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Difference-(2).jpg (88.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Difference-(3).jpg (84.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Difference-(4).jpg (97.4 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 AM

....and here is my final result after those little adjustments extra ...

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_BAD1.jpg (99.6 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 10:58 AM

Flora,

Except for your use of the difference layer, you have described the method I used as if you were sitting alongside me, (and much better than I would have described it).

As regards the overlap area, I erased back rather than masking, during the course of which I created small uncoloured areas. So I created a colour layer, sampled close to the uncoloured area and painted in to hide the joints.

I think masking was a better idea, and can't think why I did'nt do it. My excuse is it was late at night when I made my attempt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Juliana, Ed,

I nearly fell for that 'trap' myself ....

Even though, in his post, Sanderle listed the pictures as follows:

1 good (3x3 print)
2 bad (8x10 print)
8x10

The pictures uploaded in the wrong order .... so their physical order is:

1 bad (8x10 print) ... the faded one
2 good (3x3 print)
8x10
I *knew* it was a trick!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration