RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Bad Tears.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 PM

Hi Again Duv:
How about I first post the end result of the original poster. I am trying to get up the courage to post my attempt. It is awful. I can however post another one I did awhile back which was not as bad. Would that work? I would like to wait to post what I have done until You can give me some help and pointers ok?? Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8131grandad-origbredo bygroup.jpg (27.2 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:24 PM

My First

I am going to copy my very first restoration from my old computer tomorrow and post it, so you don't feel so bad. I made the mistake of thinking that I would never get it. Come to find out later, it was a really bad picture to start with, and I didn't have my basics down. Like I said in my PM, I'm working on a webpage to show my work, with one of the goals being how I've improved because of this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:40 PM

Two tries !!

I just remembered I tried to do something with these two last night. I do not want to post too much but will send these two as my feeble attempts. The one of the larger family, needs better background behind the girl standing for sure but it was all I knew how to do. The window was another big challenge. I also need to learn more about layers, I am sure. Thanks for the yippie for the first post CJ. Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg practicefam5re.jpg (38.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg practiceof picturere.jpg (52.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:49 PM

Hey, wadda ya talkin about?! Those are great starts. Sure it looks like you got some brush marks from clone stamping behind the girl, but yes that will be helped by a better understanding of layers and masks. Go to the tutorials and read The Awsome Power Of Layer Masks by Vikki. This one helped me out alot.
Thanks Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 PM

Neb,

I don't know how to use PSP, but there are others here who do use it who can give you pointers, or can translate what we Photoshopers say .

Let's talk about how we can replace the missing pieces of his uniform. We're lucky with this photo because there is another arm that we can copy from, flip that copied piece around, and actually fit it into the hole in the other arm -- like a puzzle. In Photoshop, I made a selection (with the lariat, or other selection tool -- pen, quick mask, etc.) and then copied that piece to another layer all by itself. Then I used a menu command Edit-->Transform-->Flip Horizontal to flip it so it now looked like it belonged on his left side. Then I used the Move tool to place it along his left shoulder/arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandad-move-sleeve1.jpg (96.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Grandad-newsleeve.jpg (96.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Neb, looks like you've got a full head of steam!

I know that you need to make sure that this is a safe place before you show us what you are doing, and time will show you that none of the members here make fun of newbies -- we've ALL been newbies ourselves, and the more you learn, the more you see that there is still more to learn -- but it's FUN, so that's okay. I've been using Photoshop for a dozen years, but when I started here, there were lots of things that I still didn't know. The members here, the information here, and the practice that I did here let me learn a whole lot more, but there's still lots of things that I don't do well, and have to practice to be better.

You've already shown that you have an interest in photo-editing, and that you have learned some skills in computer use and photo editing. We're all at different levels here -- some are real artists and/or professional retouchers, most are people who just are obsessed with working on photos and pictures with their computer. You don't need to apologize or be nervous - you're already a member of this group for as long as you want to stay. There are a LOT of folks who have visited here for a long time and NEVER POSTED a single word or photo -- you've already done more than that.

So, stop fidgeting, and just keep talking with us -- like Fizzgiz has told you, there is a lot of information all over this website (it IS easy to get lost at first, but then you just find something NEW that you didn't know you wanted to learn about and find your way back to where you wanted to be eventually). If you have a question -- just ask it. Either a moderator or a member will probably give you an answer -- unless we don't know the answer either -- you're not the only one who doesn't KNOW EVERYTHING, y'know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 12:26 AM

Jacket arm

Hi CJ, Here it is..In PSP the function is called mirror. How does it look? Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8131grandad-origaleftarm.jpg (36.1 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny
Hi CJ, Here it is..In PSP the function is called mirror. How does it look? Neb

Good work, Neb; add another piece and he'll have a working right arm again! Mirror sounds like a better name than "flip horizontal" to me -- glad you have the function. From what I've read, PSP has most everything that Photoshop has plus some functions that it doesn't...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 01:17 AM

Yes, CJ, you're right about everything. I use PS6, but I just bought a new Dell computer, and I got a demo 30 day trial of PSP8 and I opened it last week. I didn't look around much untill today, and found that it does have more functions than PS. I'm trying to understand the differences as much as I can, before the trial runs out, so that I can relate to both in my own work and others. It's not that much different, just alot of name changes like you observed.
Neb, you're doing great!! I a mworking on this pic and will post soon. I have never fliped before, so this is new for me as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 09:36 AM

Good Morning: Thanks to everyone for all the posts and help yesterday. I really appreciated them. I look forward to finishing the picture via your help CJ and I appreciate all you are willing to do to teach me.

Fizz, looking forward to seeing your posts. Will you get them on today as you stated within a post?

Duv, I want to thank you for your first post to me. It gave me the courage to be here and post my needs. Thanks !!

I hope I have not misunderstood this site. I am seeing it as a way to learn from some very nice, helpful, not to mention talented people. All of the happenings of the past two days here have been the best! Of all my searchings for help with learning restoration techniques, this site has given me the most. I am excited to stay and learn more each day. I would like to work on pictures and learn new ways to fix them. To do that I may post quite a bit. What I am trying to get at is this...is there a max number of posts seeking help allowed. I did see that posting two works a week was acceptable. I am very excited to be here and want to do all I can to learn as much as I can in the days ahead!! What I am trying to convey is this.. I do not want to do anything that is not acceptable to this forum, but want to use it to grow and learn all I can!!

All of the happenings of the past two days here have been the best! Of all my searchings for help with learning restoration techniques, this site has given me the most. I am excited to stay and learn more each day. Thank you Sir Doug for all your work to have this site available. It is one of ..no it is the best out there Blessings Neb
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration