RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Bad Tears.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:53 PM

Smile

Hi: I would like to have suggestions on how to finish the photo I am working on. Looks like the face needs a little work. I know how to clone a little but that is it and sometimes there are spots. Does anyone have any s Is there another way to restore tha facial flaws? This is a biggie for me, never ever tried to do much with faces. Then would be the tears and making a nice background or what ever it is in the restored photo posted . Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 02:51 PM

I did it!

I duplicated the background layer, flipped horizontal and lowered the opacity so I could see where I needed to move it to. Then I selected the move tool and adjusted the layer where I felt it was right. I then added a black layer mask, and with a white brush, painted out the arm only to reveal it. Then merged visible. That was fun!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8131grandad-origaflipped.jpg (71.3 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 03:35 AM

nebgranny, Fizzgiz,

Wow, I'm really impressed .... you managed that very well !!!!

Just two very small tips, when using/borrowing parts of a picture to replace something missing,

1) try to blend it in with the existing parts by fading or gradually erasing what's not strictly necessary to avoid the 'mirrored' look...

2) adjust light contrast and colour of the added parts to blend them in the new 'place', otherwise they are going to be a dead give away ....

Hope you don't mind me pointing these things out immediately .... I think that 'step-by-step' advice is less confusing ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 06:01 PM

I just used smudge tool and copy paste a small area of the image then used the smudge tool to get the image as the same as possable however it is tricky i find to match the whole colour on the coat. With out colouring the whole thing, I have played around quickly to show you example what psp can offer.

Regards Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagec1.jpg (22.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled - 1.jpg (61.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 08:37 PM

Unhappy

Hi Flora: You suggested try to blend it in with the existing parts by fading or gradually erasing what's not strictly necessary to avoid the 'mirrored' look
I am afraid to say I do not know what you mean by fading, I do know the eraser function.

2) adjust light contrast and colour of the added parts to blend them in the new 'place', otherwise they are going to be a dead give away ....

And again here, what tools to use?

I wish there was a place for beginners ..real beginners , I feel really stupid posting these questions, especially in a forum with people who obviously know their business. This is very hard.

Thanks for letting me vent!! Neb

I have not had an opportunity to read ALL the posts ,so maybe the functions you are referring to are explained there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 08:40 PM

Hi Barry:
Thank you for posting your example. You seem to know the functions of the program much better than I. That is a plus. I can see I need to learn so much . Blessings Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 11:08 PM

Flora,
I was so excited to see that you posted here. I knew that I could and should have blended better, but I was just trying to give a quick shot at this, just to see that I could actually flip something. But adjusting the contrast and color of a selection did not even occur to me, and it is advice much appreciated. I would have gone to do this in another picture and probaly coudn't figure out where I went wrong.
Barry, Barry, please tell me that you use PSP as well as Photoshop or know them both or at least some of the features of each. What is the Smudge tool? The reason why I am asking is that we have a real need here for a page of corresponding tools between each program. Most people here use Photoshop, but that is by chance, and we don't want to leave out the newbies that use PSP. So, I've taken upon myself to try to make up a page with a list of features that tells them where the tools are located in PSP, so that when they get info, they can relate it to PSP(os even vise versa). PM me directly or email me if you have any info to contribute to my page.
Jessy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 04:16 AM

Ok I only used PSP7, This is what I did on opening the photo I when straight to my freehand tool and copied a small peace of the coat, I then pasted it
as transparent and draged over the new peace over the torn image, after that I then used the retouch tool in the tool panel. But needed to set it first
so I opened up my Tool options box, Size I did was 17 shape was round and then hardnes set to zero adjusted the opacity to max 100, then adjusted the step by 33 Density to 100. then set the build up checked then set it to smudge. Now I am done to retouch the copy peace alittle at a time to blend it using the smudge tool.

To get the tool options open if its not open already, go to view at top and then click on toolbar then simply check the toolpanel box,

Most of my pictures I play with is using the smudge or the push tool
found under the tool options once the retouch tool has been checked.
hope that helps someone. I do alot of animation using the retouch too
all great fun with faces.

the face colour I also did using PSP, first made sure image was in grey scale.
set then I increased colour to 16 mill 24bit, then in colours adjust when to Hue Saturation lightness, Set the hue to 27 saturation to 61 then lightness to 22. Thats all i did, apart from using the lassoo tool to highlite around the face.

Regards Barry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 04:30 AM

Hi Neb, I've had a quick play with your soldier image. Most of what I did is to use the cloning and patching techniques described by others in this thread.

The image had quite a few variations in tone, so to even these out, I first copied the restored image to a new layer, then de-saturated it to get a B&W image.

Then I created another new layer, set blend mode to Soft Light and filled with 50% grey.
Using a soft white/black brush set to 5% opacity you can paint light/dark into the areas that need adjusting.

Finally I created a layer set to colour blend, sampled colour from original, and applied to new layer.

By converting to B&W it is easier to adjust variations in shade, as there are no colour variations to complicate things. The colour is added back by the colour layer at the end.

I tried to retain the feel of the original, and for that reason have not "corrected" all the "faults" on the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandad Res.jpg (52.3 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 08:47 AM

Very Nice Work. Thanks for a great try .

I am still wanting to work on Vicki's tutorial. I pulled up the help topics in my PSP8 program on masks and this is what came up. Which one should I pull and then read and use? There are so many. Anyone want to take a guess? I really want to learn how to work on correcting faces .Thanks Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maskstopicsre.jpg (34.5 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration