RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

path tool maybe? help please

Old 03-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Patron

Merging Paths

To be honest with you I am not sure that this answers your problem. It may be easier to work with selections since you can add or subtract to them at will. However what you can do is draw a path covering the red line on her face. Than use the path select tool to select that path. Hold down the option/alt key drag that path to cover the the green outline. That places a copy of the path moved to the green outline. Select both paths with the path select tool and click combine.

Perhaps an easier way to do what I think you want to do is make a selection using the red line and including the cheek. Copy that selection to a new layer. Use the move tool to move the copied layer inward to shrink the cheek bulge. If you have selected parts of the background that background will nicely cover up the fat parts of the cheek.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 08:52 AM

So far as I know the path tool cannot be used as a morph guide, your best bet in this kind of reconstruction is probably the liquify tool, but the trick is that it is very hard to overdo things. Check out my post here for a detailed description of how to effectively morph bodies using the liquify tool. In my experience it is the easiest way to get the job done and yeilds very good results.

Take care,

Michael

PS If there is a way to morph with the path tool, I'd be very interested in knowing how.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face1.jpg (45.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg face2.jpg (45.0 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBChamberlain
So far as I know the path tool cannot be used as a morph guide, your best bet in this kind of reconstruction is probably the liquify tool, but the trick is that it is very hard to overdo things. Check out my post here for a detailed description of how to effectively morph bodies using the liquify tool. In my experience it is the easiest way to get the job done and yeilds very good results.

Take care,

Michael

PS If there is a way to morph with the path tool, I'd be very interested in knowing how.
thanks for all the replies and such, and for you I have a question, how idd you get those grid things ps?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 09:34 AM

in the "View Options" area of the liquify tool there is a check box marked "Mesh". Checking that will show the grid. (You should usually use the small mesh for better control.)

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 09:40 AM

ahaaaaa, thank you very much sir
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2005, 10:40 AM

Using paths as morph guides

I think this is what you're looking for......

1) Duplicate background image, make a path around the original feature (here we'll move the chin) and stroke the path in a nice bright colour (pic 1);
2) Make a new empty layer and draw the required new path, stroke this in a different bright colour (pic 2);
3) Select the layer with the original path and go to Liquify;
4) In the bottom right-hand corner check the box "Backdrop" and choose the layer that has the new path;
5) Use the liquify tools to move the old path until it coincides with the new path (pic 3);
6) Now at the top right select "Save Mesh" and save;
7) Cancel the liquify - we only wanted the mesh;
8) Duplicate the background layer (without the old path) and select the Liquify filter again;
9) Select "Load Mesh" and retreive the mesh you saved earlier - now the alterations that you did before will be applied here;
10) Select OK and you're finished (pic 4) - well except for a bit of texture fixing, maybe.

Obs: If you didn't mark the original path, just the new one, you wouldn't need to liquify in two steps like here. Just use the new path as the Backdrop.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikini1_original_curve.jpg (99.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bikini1_new_curve.jpg (97.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg bikini1_moved.jpg (99.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg bikini1_final-byRo.jpg (95.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2005, 11:17 AM

Brilliant Rô,

I've used saved meshes a few times but that a way of using them that I had never considered.

Michael
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration