Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Original to Restored Image Color Matching

Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Original to Restored Image Color Matching

Is there a way to take a color reading from an original print and input it into Photoshop CS so that the restored image matches the original in background tone?

I have a continual problem with matching the color of the original in my restored copies printed on my Epson 4000.

I know that the old fibre based papers that pastel and sepia prints were made on has a different base tone that the RC silver halide or the Epson Lustre paper.

I have to believe that there is some way of getting close without spending hours fooling around with the restored image. I am spending more time trying to match the color than I am restoring the imperfections in the original.

I know that Pantone makes a tool to lay on top of colors to get a reading for a matching hexadecimal or Pantone color number. Is there a way to do the same with another tool on original images?

I am scanning my images in on an Epson 1640. Are there specific settings on the 1640 I should be looking at changing?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated by this frustrated neophyte.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi Ahmed V. Ismail,

Welcome to RP!

Matching colours seems to be one of the most complex task when working with scanned originals, digital pictures > Photoshop > Printer ....

What I learned (? ?) is that, in order to have constant good results the first things to check and fix are:

Monitor Calibration.
Color Management.
... and the right Color Profile.

I found the best and most extensive explanation on these delicate topics here just browse thorugh Tutorials, Articles etc ... everything is very well and clearly explained and it makes a very interesting reading ....

Hope this helps ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration