Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Loss of Resolution

Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Loss of Resolution

Hi there,

I'm a PSP v9 user and have recently designed some buttons for a friend who is building his own MP3 box. I sent him the unsized buttons which he then tweaked to his own needs to fit his specs. Unfortunately along the line somewhere the images degraded rapidly in resolution. I'll include them at the end to show you how they look.

Basically, I believe they were lose somewhere in the process of converting them from psp files to the final product. First I saved those psp files to Jpeg, then sent them. He then converted them to Bitmap to resize. Here is where I think the definition loss has occured.

Anyway, I'd love to know how I can resolve this or restore the lost resolution and crispness, without him having to do it all again, heh.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final Piece.3.JPG (57.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 03:04 PM
It's difficult to say where in the chain the problem occured.
Possible causes:
A low setting will mess up an image. What jpeg compression settings did you use?
Enlarging any image, that isn't a vector, will degrade the image to some extent. He should have given you the dimensions he needed initially, so that he wouldn't have to resize.) Same goes for the file format.

What can you do now? Find out the dimensions needed. If they are significantly larger than your originals, you'll probably need to redo the artwork. If the size is adequate, save them as a bitmap (who uses that format anymore?). If emailing, and size is an issue, zip the file.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration