RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Broken Glass

Old 03-24-2005, 07:31 PM

Broken Glass

I've been working on a photo that was stuck to the broken glass of the frame it was in. I managed to clean up the broken glass but I'm having a hard time getting the skin tone and mouth to look right. Any input would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken glass 72ppi.jpg (41.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg little girl done 72ppi.jpg (87.4 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Smile Hi Elleth!

Here is my attempt at restoring the photo. I first used the clone and healing brush to clean up the edges of the glass. Then replaced the damaged eye using a copy of the opposite eye, and blended the areas around it. I did some additional cleanup on the face and hair.

I noticed that the mouth is still in good shape. Look very close at it and you will see that the corner is still there and usable. After cleaning the glass area around the month, I did pull some of the dark shadow around the front of the lip. The glass gave it a shiny look and it needed to be replaced.

I am not happy with the shirt. I created a pattern and pattern stamped it large. If I was you, I would just replace this shirt all together with another shirt from another photo. Because you will not be able to get the pattern to look correctly.

Hope This Helps and Good Luck!
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bgjk1.jpg (41.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bgjk2.jpg (68.9 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 02:44 AM

Thumbs down broken no more

took just a steady hand and copying and pasting with a reverse image to help with the damaged areas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken glass 72ppi2 copy.jpg (35.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg broken glass 72ppi.jpg (41.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 AM

That technique looks like it's been very successful nicolburch - quite true to the original. Do you think you could you explain how the reverse image technique works? I haven't come across it in my reading yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 08:28 AM

Talking sure.. coping a selection of the picture

reverse is not all that diffecult.
for exsample if you have a pair of lips like the childs lips in this photo.
damaged but only on one side you can copy half the lips then past back on and flip and fit the area that is damaged you may have to use erase tool to clean up edges and some times use blur too to even the tones to blend together. Now when you have eyes and nose it is basicly the same just select the selection area you want and copy then to make it easy on first timers in adobe go up to image and flip it horz.... then past the selection you wanted to fix. it will be the right way to work with it then .. when coping and pasting you make layers for all who don't know. and alot easyier to work with in layers at times. and just have to make sure that you line up objects you don't want a crooked eye or nose ... lol have done it many times just for fun lol ...well i hope i explained it more in detail. I learned this when having to restore my grandfathers photo for the first time. he was all cracked up but half of his face in peices i saved the photo if you have half a face you can redo a photo..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 08:52 AM

Elleth, I don't know if you noticed there is a 'related thread' link at the bottom of this page with a lengthy thread about removing prints stuck to glass. You might want to investigate it? http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...ighlight=stuck

Thanks for the explaination nicolburch - I initially though you were using some miraculous technique using a negative (reversed) image to somehow remove damage - which sounded amazing *lol*. But reversing (flipping) is something that I tend to forget about too...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback folks!
I did use the reverse process with the mounth...but not with the same success as you nicolburch!
I think I'll have another go at it.
I also talked to the owner about removing the glass before I started workinig on the photograph, but she would have none of it, she didnt want the image ruined and more then it already is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 12:03 PM

Hi Elleth, had a go with your picture. I just copied and pasted the original mouth, which didn't appear to be in too bad shape. Adjusted a little with curves, then cloned to hide join and repair damaged lip area.

Lastly I added a touch of noise, blurred slightly, then adjusted opacity. A little burning on hair to finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken glass done.jpg (82.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration