RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Picture of grandfather--Help!

Old 04-10-2005, 08:58 PM

My attempt. I like keeping as much of the photo as I can in old pics, so I didn't crop.

k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900-1950- (13) post.jpg (72.2 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 03:22 PM

Thumbs down Wow Ken!!!

Looks great!!! Please share what you did--especially to get rid of the shadow of the lightpole on the left. I dealt with it by cropping it out. Your photo looks great. I'd love to have a go using your method. Please share if you have the time.

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 03:47 PM

Jen,

I just went back to look at my Layers Palette to see what I did and not all it is there. I must not have saved everything when I made a jpeg for posting. That said here is the best I can reconstruct:

1. Duplicated the Background Layer
2. Levels Adjustment Layer
3. Channel Mixer Adj. Layer-checked monochrome and set RGB to 10/32/66
4. Curves Adj. Layer and tweeked the contrast a bit
5. Made an empty Layer-(Layer>New Layer) - and set to oftlight blend
and painted with a 10-20 black and white soft brushes, especially the
shadow created by the hat. Also painted other areas of the pic to bring
up detail.
6. Also made an Empty layer set to Color Burn, but this did'nt help too much.
7. Merged Visible
8. Applied Dust & Scratches filter and Neat Image set to 35%.
9. For the foreground grass area, I just copied good grass, pasted it in and
used the Healing brush to blend.
10. I used an Empty Layer set to Softlight blend to work on the shadow.
I may have made a selection of the shadow and used a Levels Adj. to
reduce the shadow.
11. From the Merged Visible layer I copied the window to the left of his
head and pasted over the shadowed window and used Clone Stamp
and the healing brush to blend the edges.
12. I cropped out the ragged border of the pic.
13. I think I added another Empty layer set to Softlight and worked over
the pic again with black and white brushes with 10-30% opacity.
14. I think the USM was 226/.9/5???

Oh, the black spot I used Clone Stamp and one of the Softlight layers.

I think the image of grandfather looks pretty good. I did the best I could with the background and porch area.

K
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM

Jen,

I just went back to look at my Layers Palette to see what I did and not all it is there. I must not have saved everything when I made a jpeg for posting. That said here is the best I can reconstruct:

1. Duplicated the Background Layer
2. Levels Adjustment Layer
3. Channel Mixer Adj. Layer-checked monochrome and set RGB to 10/32/66
4. Curves Adj. Layer and tweeked the contrast a bit
5. Made an empty Layer-(Layer>New Layer) - and set to Softlight blend
and painted with a 10-20% opacity black and white soft brushes, especially the shadow created by the hat. Also painted other areas
of the pic to bringup detail.
6. Also made an Empty layer set to Color Burn, but this did'nt help too much.
7. Merged Visible
8. Applied Dust & Scratches filter and Neat Image set to 35%.
9. For the foreground grass area, I just copied good grass, pasted it in and
used the Healing brush to blend.
10. I used an Empty Layer set to Softlight blend to work on the shadow.
I may have made a selection of the shadow and used a Levels Adj. to
reduce the shadow.
11. From the Merged Visible layer I copied the window to the left of his
head and pasted over the shadowed window and used Clone Stamp
and the healing brush to blend the edges.
12. I cropped out the ragged border of the pic.
13. I think I added another Empty layer set to Softlight and worked over
the pic again with black and white brushes with 10-30% opacity.
14. I think the USM was 226/.9/5???

Oh, the black spot I used Clone Stamp and one of the Softlight layers.

I think the image of grandfather looks pretty good. I did the best I could with the background and porch area.

K
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Here's my 'final' result...

well, as of today anyway. I took the original and cropped out the lightpost shadow. Did a little with the healing brush. Selected out ol' granddad and duplicated him into 4 layers--two with him selected and two with the background selected. I then ran a layer adjustment on each--levels and brightness/contrast. Merged layers. Ran unsharp mask on the whole. Selected background and ran noise>median (I think, might have been reduce noise). Photo was a little more sepia than I liked, so reduced saturation a bit. I think that's it. I tried to go back to my PSD saved file after I closed editor, but it did not show my history...I thought if you saved in psd you would be able to go back and review/change that? Anyway--that's my final as of today--I think I should have feathered my selection of him a bit, but forgot. Thanks everyone for their help! Between you all and PSE 3: The Missing Manual by Barbara Brundage I am learning heaps! Can't wait to load Richard's tools and really get things going!

Comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900-1950- (13) 4-14 copy2 post.jpg (92.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2005, 06:26 AM

Here is my amatuer attempt at this image.

You can see that its the grandfathers right side that is faded. So my intent was to isolate that, adjust it and then blend it back into the rest of the photo.

Flora's easy selection tutorial made some task very quick and well...easy.http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=120

Getting at the point in her tutorial where she says to adjust the curves to cause the image to loote like a matte. I did so. I then painted all that was not related to the grandfather white. Then Control clicked the extra channel as she instructs. I then narrowed the focus of the slection to just the mans right side.

I ran into problems when using adjustment layers on this selection as it still affect the entire layer inaddition to my selection. So I just did a quick copy and past to another layer above. Bagan to use and adjument layer to adjust curves and it did affect the selection portion but it also affect the transparent section to then cause the layer below to be affect. "Use all layers was NOT selected". Hmmm, whatever. But I got around it eventually. I did a rather poor jop of cloning the moss/grass and did a mjor amateur job of mirroring the plant and then also creating a fake shadow from the plant shape.

Im not exactly sure but I think those are windows behind him. I mean its a house isn't it LOL. Well that one window that flass right into the dark strip proved to be a majpor problem So I just copied the window off his left, adjust its shape via the distort command.

I also felt that the concrete/stone/marble whatever it is was rrather blown out looking on the original so I used the sandtone texturizer filter. The posted image being a jpeg it was hard to tell what was supposed to be and what was dirt so I didn't mess with retouching stuff off to the righ of the photograph.

Given that it was obviously a very sunny day. I'm almost inclined to think that some of what has been precived as "fade" is perhaps actually a light "shimmer" on the suit. But then would he likely be wearing a wool suit back in those days? I suppose so.

Thoughts?

BTW, is the speia tone an intentional style "back in the day" or is it the result exposure to light and the aging of the inks?

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SomeonesGrandfather.jpg (99.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2005, 06:29 AM

Seems the image I posted above is still not where it should be. His right side is definately lighter than his hat for example. But I still think its leaps and bounds better than the original photo. Interms of composition, I like the idea many have had to crop out the image from just behind the grandfather. Not
to mention making the retouching easier. HOwever, I would guess if you were getting paid, you'd want to find out if doing such a major crpping iut would be acceptable to the customer. I like the cropping out because it still keeps the grandfather as the focus of the photograph while not being in the center.
Pete

Last edited by pjanak; 05-15-2005 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration