RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Picture of grandfather--Help!

Old 04-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Picture of grandfather--Help!

Hi,
I'm new to RTP--been lurking for about 3 weeks. I have PSE3, as you can probably tell by my screenname My father was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 3 months ago, and my brothers and I are making a slideshow for him and my mom for their 43rd anniv. next month. I have this picture of my gf--whom I never met--from about the 1920s I'd say. I've done some level adjustment on it, even split the photo into layers and ran level adjustments on him and the background separately. Just not getting what I want. I know much of the photo is way over exposed--to the point of being blown. Just wanted to see if anyone had any further ideas of what I could do to improve the photo. Remember, I'm in PSE3--I have Richard's book/cd/tools, but haven't yet used them as I am still trying to master the basics of the program. Thanks! Oh yeah, the second thumbnail is what I got after working on the layers separately. I ran the image through neatimage (thanks for that wonderful link to the program Flora!) but for this image I was not happy with the results--I lost too much detail in his face. But the background is soooooooo noisy.

Jen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900-1950- (13) post.jpg (94.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 1900-1950- (13) copy post.jpg (98.8 KB, 121 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2005, 03:01 PM

I'm using PSE2 and I had a try at your picture. Here's what I did - I'm lazy

Image > Adjustments > Equialize (that made it look awful, but wait...)

Enhancements > Adjust Color > Color variations .... (here I played with more and less of the red, green and blue in each of the midtones, highlights, and shadows until I couldn't do any more there, then I adjusted the Saturation (all in the same dialog) There is also a slider for color intensity, but I didn't touch that.

Might still need some refining, but saves a lot of work.

HTH Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (51.8 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2005, 04:26 PM

Hi Jen, had a quick play with your picture. Going out shortly, so if interested will post method tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900-1950- (13) R copy_filtered.jpg (84.0 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-09-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 PM

Yes, please, Gary

I'd love it if you shared your method. Thanks to you and Margaret for taking a go at my photo. I tried again this afternoon and improved the photo a bit, but he still looks like he's been painted on the scene. I think it must be because the white background is just so overexposed. I got results similar to yours, Gary, but yours is a bit less noisy. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2005, 07:24 PM

Hello Jen,

Took a shot at this one. Played with channels mixing in RGB and CMYK. Reduced the shadow under the brim and returned to sepia color or something akin and sharpened. Didn't play with the noise to much. If you have neat image, it sounds ike you have the ability to de-noise as you desire, so hope this was useful.

Sean

thank you for asking and for letting us all work on your picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandfather.jpg (81.7 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2005, 07:25 PM

Hi Jen,

You're right that background is very dirty. I don't think neat image is a big help here though. Because the background is so overexposed I think you are just seeing a lot of staining on the paper (which unfortunately seem to be consistent across all channels)

I have PS7, so not sure what features aren't available in PSE.

I set levels for the image, but then modified curves for the dapper gent, and the background seperately as seperate adjustment layers.

I also pulled saturation down a bit.

I think the key to how dirty the background looks is contrast - I notice that Gary's version has quite low contrast so looks less messy (he may have done something else clever too!). I think you need to keep the contract in the background fairly low - and accept that it will look a bit underexposed. You will probably just need to do some hand retouching too - which will be a big job with out the nifty heal tool for Photoshop 7.

I did some very light unsharp mask - not sure if it helped though...

Finally I ran it through Neatimage at the end just to get rid of a little bit of grain - but pulled the noise reduction down to the minimum I could.

Hope this is of some help. What an dapper looking gent!

*EDIT* Sean - really like what you've done there - taking the shading off the face is a big improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900-1950--(13)-post.jpg (98.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 04-09-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2005, 02:21 AM

Hi Jen,

Got a bit of spare time now.

Well, I did'nt do too much really.

First I selected the man, and copied and pasted hin to a new layer. He seemed fairly well exposed so did'nt want to change him too much when I ran levels.
(I could of just masked him, but you are using Elements, so I was'nt sure if you had use of layer masks.)(Just looked at Elements, and as long as you use a levels adjustment layer you do have a mask.)

Anyway, I ran a levels adjustment on the background to darken it. Had to reduce the whites a little to prevents them blowing out. (This is what caused most of the noise.)

Created a new layer, set blend mode to Soft Light and filled with 50% grey.
(Do this by clicking on arrow at top of Layers Pallette, select New Layer, then click options as required.) Now using a soft brush, set to about 5% opacity, I painted in black or white, to darken or lighten areas such as the man's suit and the foliage by the wall.

Flattened image and cloned out any blemishes I did'nt want.

Lastly I ran it through Neat Image. (Default settings are far too strong, and I reduced them greatly.)

Still not really happy with the image, if I have a bit of time today, will try to improve it a touch, will post if I do.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2005, 03:28 AM

Had another play with your picture, not sure if this improves it or not.

Desaturated image and added colour layer, reduced opacity of layer. (I think this gives it a sepia tint closer to the original.

Noticed most of noise was in sky and far pillar. So first copied near pillar and pasted and resized to fit over far pillar. Flattened image, then copied to new layer. Applied Gaussian Blur to new layer and masked to apply only to sky. Reduced layer opacity for best effect.

Applied Curves layer to darken mid tones a little, and brighten highlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900-1950- (13) R2.jpg (78.2 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-10-2005 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Uploaded wrong image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 PM

Thanks Caitlin,

I'm trying hard, and I really enjoy being forced to look at and assess the various channels and saturations, and then try my hand at improving them. I am learning with every response from you, Gary and others and very grateful to those who upload their personal picures for us all to work on, and those who provide the detailed break down of their efforts - I have to learn how to do that properly :-)

Great site and group.

Hope you are getting what you want Jen ?

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2005, 08:19 PM

Thanks to all!!!

Sean et al,
Absolutely!!! I am learning from each new post. I just had the chance to sit down at the computer--we spent the last couple of days doing yard work. Looks like I've got poison ivy again <ugh> Had my first case last year--it was a doozy--took 2 treatments of steroids to keep me sane from all the itching. I'm hoping this won't be as bad. Course, it may mean more time for playing with my old photos

Again, my appreciation to all who have worked on my grandfather's photo and shared the steps in your process! You are all great!

Jen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration