RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Ghostly image

Old 04-25-2005, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2
I am definitely going to have to get my glasses checked!!

Here is my "hack" with a little photo magic for the face. however, I saw the left child with arms over the tub (elbows leaning on it so to speak). Anyway, I missed the cat's face, so, i expect i have this one wrong too :

Sean
Hi Sean,
Wow that's a completley different perspective on the second girl. It's funny how everyone sees different things in these photos.

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 03:15 AM

Actually deadant that link to the original image did help - though the version you have posted here is bigger (file size wise) I think the second compression may have added a lot of extra jpg artifacting. That's the big problem with JPG - everytime you save you add rubbish

I had another go - now I can see that knee as well I think! In fact the second girl is starting to become reasonable clear as well (Ain't photoshop great!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girls.jpg (98.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg girlsnotated.jpg (98.2 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 03:56 AM

I think that's the Tub rolled edge at the back. If I can get a really good scan from the owner maybe we can have a decent look.

I agrre with you about jpeg artifacts. They make great for emails but nightmare for restoration.

deadants
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubRoll.jpg (45.1 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 PM

deadants,

i've been studying this pic for a while and i took what you said about the knees being tucked up and you may be right. that does explain some of what i'm seeing. dont know

i've also been trying different filters and effects and so on and i believe i've come up with yet another version of the girl on the right. interesting that we all are seeing her in different ways. also, i dont see the evidence for sean's version, though, the evidence for ANY way is pretty scant.

i'm including an outline pic and without the outline. see if you can see what i'm seeing without the outline.

also, i'm pretty sure that dark smudge on what appears to be the top left part of her head is not actually part of her head, but rather some sort of deterioration mark. it could just be the hair color went bad on the film there too, since it does seem to trace fairly true to what her head form seems to be.

shld be quite interesting to get a better scan and see what this really looks like

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubgirls-1-k-1a.jpg (97.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg tubgirls-2-k-1.jpg (85.3 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:14 PM

Hi Kraellin,
Gee, this photo has more twist and turns after everyone has a look. I think whichever position the left girl is in, a heck of a lot of artistic license is going to be used. Did you use a pencil tool and graphic tablet to trace around the edges?

The owner of the picture emailed last night asking me how high to scan the photo, so hopefully in the next day or two I may have something we can have a good look at.

Getting away from the girls for a bit, is there any ideas on what that thing on the right in the background is?

deadants

Last edited by deadants; 04-25-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadants
Getting away from the girls for a bit, is there any ideas on what that thing on the right in the background is?
You mean behind Joan? Looks like it might be a pile of towels/sheets/laundry? I wonder could they be outside on a veradah? (Just based on the plant in the other corner)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 PM

Towels and sheets would make sense. I think the objet on the left is some sort of table or trestle.
I don't know whether it's inside or outside, but the owner of the photo lives in England so if it's outside it would probably be mid summer. Living where I do, anything below 19 degrees C is nippy.

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 PM

yup. this one is a toughy and definitely interested in seeing if a better scan will bring out more.

btw, i didnt even include the other view i thought maybe was there. in your reddish image you posted earlier, i could also see the girl in question with her head turned to her right, looking to our left, with her right hand up in front of her face.

yes, i just penciled in that outline to show what i thought i was seeing in the un-penciled image. it's just a rough sketch to guide you where to look in the other image.

no doubt, if we do get a better scan, we'll see the real image is the girl with her head underwater or something

oh, and what did you do to get that reddish image you did?

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
oh, and what did you do to get that reddish image you did?
All I did was select the rough outline of the girls and look at the levels histogram and just darkened the levels of the selection. Nothing fancy, just a quick highlight trick.

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 05:52 AM

Hi,

deadants,

Welcome to RP!

Just to stir a bit more confusion , here is what I saw in your picture...
in my opinion the girls are in an outdoor tub (could be in some South Mediterranean country (or some exotic part of the world...). At the sides of the tub I made out only plants (some long leafed(? did I say that right?)) .... and I think that the 'feature between the girls' heads is an ornate outdoor wall water tap....

Muriel seems to concentrate on something hidden in the tub or to be sulking .... and, in my opinion, her arms are kept close to her body .... Joan seems to be holding one knee...

I strongly blurred some of the body parts to emphasize what I saw ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tub.jpg (96.5 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Flora; 04-26-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration