RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Ghostly image

Old 04-30-2005, 05:49 PM

Well it certainly has been a different and interesting exercise. But as Flora points out, the detail in Muriel’s face is just too far-gone to do anything with. But I must say Flora, you have done a great job with the limited information you had to work with and I'm sure if I post your effort on the rootschat forum, Jessica would be pleased to see how far it has come.

Kraellin, I think it will always be a mystery as to the true position of Murial's arms and head. Maybe if we had all that fancy lab equipment the CSI team have, we could tell if she had a birthmark I wonder what it would look like under ultra violet or infra red, would it show any hidden details? I must admit I still can't see the insect but I'll take your word for it.

Hopefully a technique will be available in the future to resolve the hidden detail, I suspect that it would have to be a chemical process on the original photo as digital reproductions would be useless. I don't think raw Photoshop muscle is going to get us much further, short of artistic interpretations.

Anyone who wishes to add some artistic interpretations, go for it. I would be interested to see what could be done. Consider it a challenge.

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 11:47 PM

I don't have anything to offer in regards to helping restore the picture, but I must say reading this whole thing was very interesting. The picture has an eerie feel to it being old and discolored. The stuff you guys have done to the pictures were really good. I especially liked the one Flora did off the new scan. Good work guys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 12:29 AM

Well, right location wrong time. Here is Flora's version in the location we think it should be. The scale of the two pictures may be a bit out but you get the idea.

deadants
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TubTime001.jpg (45.5 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Sorry to get back to this so late ....

Caitlin,

CSI is incredibly popular over here too!!! I've been watching it from 3 different countries.... Italy, UK and South Africa!!!! (that's where I got the 'forensic team idea...)
And enjoyable except that you are laughing at how implausable the use of technology it is every 5 minutes!

I don't know if anyone has seen Stephen Poliakoff's Shooting the Past. This discussion has reminded me of the series - particularly of the memories and history lingering in images. What a fascinating story this photo could take us on - how did these little girls live, what were their dreams. One child went on to take her own life - what did she dream of that never came true. This photo is really quite haunting and evocative, particually with their little faces and bodies fading away.

Shooting the Past also made you think of the lives of the long gone faces looking out at you from faded images - though of course it was another series where I coudn't help but go 'oh - come on!' at the rather far fetched research discoveries that could be made in a photo archive (working in a film archive myself - I know it just isn't quite that neat!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadants
Well, right location wrong time. Here is Flora's version in the location we think it should be. The scale of the two pictures may be a bit out but you get the idea.
Fascinating. I think you've got it dead on there.

*edit* cool - I just became a 'senior member'! That wasn't hard!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 03:37 AM

Hi,

Kraellin,

I usually define myself as a "bloodhound" .... once I get my 'nose' on a 'scent' I follow it to exhaustion ..... ..... but you are a born researcher!!!

deadants,

great idea of merging the pictures .... it really gives us a very clear view!!!!!
If/when you decide to post my 'effort' on the rootschat site, please, tell Jessica I'm sorry I couldn't help more .... but, suddenly, the 'scent' had vanished!!!

yuppicide,

thank you so much for your great comment!!!

Caitlin,

unfortunately I haven't seen that series .... hope to get the chance!!!
Congratulations on your becoming a 'Senior Member' !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Kraellin,

I usually define myself as a "bloodhound" .... once I get my 'nose' on a 'scent' I follow it to exhaustion ..... ..... but you are a born researcher!!!
flora,

well, that was the kind way of saying it. i call it compulsive to an extreme but thank you

deadants,

most interesting combination and it gives me another idea. oh, and the 'insect' circled in that pic is actually an 'insect wing' and back leg. the rounded back part of the wing is facing left and it tapers down a bit to the right. the 'leg' sticks down from the back and bends to the left. it's circled in that pic. oh, and deadants, did you ever get a reply from the owner about the luminosity/intensity question i asked?

congrats, caitlin

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 09:42 AM

alright, like i said, deadants gave me an idea. here's what i did:

i took the tubkids-1 image and made a duplicate image. i turned one of them into a complete negative image. i then combined the two images using the 'arithmetic' feature in paint shop pro, with the 'add' arguement as the combining routine. this produced a very interesting result. sadly, to post here, i had to cut it down in resolution by quite a bit, so a bit of detail is lost, but i think i can now say that muriel's right arm is definitely down into the tub, and not cocked like i had in my last picture. her entire outline seems better in this one, though facial detail is still quite lacking. even the way her head may or may not be cocked or turned is still speculative. but i do like this result.

i do have server space at a remote server if someone wants the uncompressed version.

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tub Kids-3-1-k-1a.jpg (96.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 09:48 AM

wow. this 'arithmetic' function is great. here's another rendition of the negative image and the tubkids-1 image combined with yet a different arguement; this time with the 'and' arguement. this one is even better than the last!

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tub Kids-4-1-k-1.jpg (96.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 09:59 AM

and here's another with the blue and green channels combined from the last image. there's very little compression on this one due to the limited color array.

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-green-1-k-1.jpg (92.6 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration