RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Printer Stripes

Old 05-01-2005, 03:31 AM

Well this is a nightmare. The more I try to fix it the worse it gets. I have tried Cardmnals metod with limited success but I think it's a case of lack of experiance. Has anyone had any luck at all or is it just too labour intesive?

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Patron

Cool Vertical Stripes

Well I took your image and ran it through the neat image filter.
I then copied that layer and used the overlay blending mode and used an emboss filter with the light at 0 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weddeers.jpg (30.8 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 PM

Hi Phil,
I aso tried the method you have employed but thought it was strarting to blur to much. Plus the stripes although dimminished are still there.

I have sent a colorized version to the client and they seemed quite happy the way it had come out compared to his original degraded copy. So now it is more an exercise in trying to figure out a method to easily eraticate this sort of thing in the future.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of plugin that allows you to do arrays, like in CAD programs. This is just a bit of thinking out of the square at the moment and may come to nothing but it would make light work out of this sort of repeating pattern problem.

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 06:01 AM
Patron

Arrays

Well briefly I did construct a series of vertical black lines in adobe illustrator and superimposed them on the white lines on your print in a separate layer. I blurred them some and used overlay/soft light blending modes. It didn't seem to work well but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. I suspect though that doing something like that would work and it would help if one where real familar with a cad program or similar program.

I took a look at some of the shapes in photoshop there is a grid but none with strict vertical lines. There are some parallel lines that run obliquely. I guess if this comes up again I would make a new custom shape with parallel vertical lines and then transform them to match the artifact.

At any rate your post was very interesting and one of those things I will mull over for a few weeks and learn something. Thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Generally speaking, if you have a repeating pattern in an image the FFT method will give you the best results. Check out ByRo's tutorial here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg printerlines.jpg (79.1 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 02:15 PM

Michael, that was the first thing I tried and got zero results. Having seen your post, I went back in and was able to see a couple of stars on the horizontal line which I removed and got a much improved image. Was there anything else you did beyond that? Sometimes what you need to do is not that obvious.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 02:44 PM

Nope, just the stars on the horizontal axis. Virtical lines will appear on the horizontal access, horizontal lines on the virtical access, and diagonal lines in the four quadrants...

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Michael, I tried this technique a while ago, or tried to! I just couldnt get it to work at all - could not find any 'stars'. Maybe I will have to give it another go. The result does seem a little grainy though? I wonder after grain removal will it appear soft yet again?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 06:23 PM

I using photoshop CS on Mac with OS X. I can't find an Alex Chirakov filter. I have installed the HSB/HSL but it just stays greyed out if I'm in greyscale mode. Do I need the Alex Chirakov filter, and is it available for OS X.

deadants

Last edited by deadants; 05-02-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 02:59 AM

Hi deadants,

FFT was the first thing I tried with this image .... (still have a love-hate relationship with it, though!!! ) but didn't get far .... After reading Michael's post, I'll try it again .... Anyway, Alex Chirokov's FFT plug-in for PS doesn't come on the installation CD but can be found here ..

Wow, checking the link I just discovered they came out with a new version!!!

Last edited by Flora; 05-03-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration