RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Printer Stripes

Old 04-29-2005, 05:29 PM

Printer Stripes

I was confronted with this photo today with a request to make it look a bit newer, and possibly colour it. But as you can see it looks like it was printed on typing paper from a cheap printer leaving those vertical printer lines. Is there any kind of filter or technique to deal with this, besides the obvious rescanning the original.

deadants
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding001.jpg (43.5 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 05:53 PM

Wel I would normally say Neatimage - it generally removes paper pattern quite well. (If you don't have it Deadants, there is a free trial version that works on jpg only)

But this image is so small, and there is no 'blank' section to sample from, which make it much harder. It works best if there is a section of the scan with no photographic detail, so it can sample the texture only.

I had a go with Neatimage anyway, and it has helped a bit. It would help a lot if the image scan was bigger though, as neatimage needs a reasonable number of pixels to sample from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding001.jpg (98.6 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 06:08 PM

Hi Caitlin,
It has cleaned it up a bit but it is still a bit in your face, so to speak. Here is the link to the larger version on Rootschat.
http://tinyurl.com/83x8t

Do you have a link to neatimage so I can check it out?

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 06:33 PM

Hi deadants,

Here is the link to the Neat Image site:

http://www.neatimage.com/

Jaime
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 07:04 PM

I agree deadants that this looks like a bad inkjet print. If the owner can get hold of the original I think we'll have alot more luck. I don't think neatimage can remove the banding entirely.

Otherwise all I can think of is to get the best out of neatimage, then use clone, blur etc to remove as much of the remaining banding as possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 07:34 PM

Thaks for the link Jaime, I have downloaded and installed it. It a great little plugin.

I have posted the request for a rescan of the original but the owner may no longer have access to it. But we will wait for the reply and see what happens. In the mean time, I will attempt to colorize it as an exercise just in case the original does not eventuate.

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 PM

Ok Guys, Here's my temporary colourized version. If I can get hold of the original It should come up heaps better. Also when I do a save for web it tends to become lighter, so I try to make my photos a little darker before I do a save for web.

deadants
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding002.jpg (39.5 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 01:43 AM

If you want to get rid of those lines try this.

Duplicate layer. With your duplicate layer selected nudge your image about 3 pixels either left or right.

add a layer mask and fill with black. With the mask targeted paint with white along the lines with a small brush

although tedious, this should work.

If I have more time tommorow I'll give it a shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 02:02 AM

Thanks for the tip cardmnal, I'm onto right now. I'll let you know what happens.

deadants
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 12:04 PM

deadants,

i've seen this happen with scanners also, though in this case, it does look more like a printer thing.

besides the fixes already posted, you can also try 'median filter', 'texture preserving smooth', and 'salt and pepper filter'. these are all 'noise' filters in paint shop pro (psp). i dont know what the equivalents are in p-shop. even a 'despeckle' might remove a bit of it.

other than that, i'd prolly take a selection of the ground portion of the image and simply use a noise filter without worrying about clarity. and on the bodies of the folks i'd tend to use 'clone', 'push' and 'smudge'.

ok, having just said all that, i copied the pic to my drive and also tried 'automatic scratch removal'. there are several settings for this in psp and i was able to mostly remove the white lines. however, this can be somewhat erosive of other desired things, so i think a bit of judicious automatic scratch removal and hand work would be in order here. i also had some success with the salt and pepper noise reduction filter. the problem with all of them is a reduction in clarity, however, but, you might just mask off things like the heads before filtering and see how that worked.

it's definitely a tricky image. will be interested in seeing how it goes.

K.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration