RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

blown out help

Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 PM

blown out help

Can anybody show me the way forward on this photo, It is a double whammy
how do i get rid/better the blown out bits? tried a few things but not happy with them (not even if i turn it to black and white ) i know my patience value with this type of problem is virtualy non existince as i dont understand properly curves histogram etc.

The other whammy is this is a copy of the original at its original size, It was took with my camera phone, and inside ! ! ( don't seem to have the right camera at the right time ) normaly i wouldn't bother to much with this sort of photo but my son has fell in love with it as he bought the castle for my grandson's birthday

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle.jpg (51.8 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2005, 12:43 PM

If you do a search, there is a thread on here on clipping by, I think, Ro.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2005, 01:37 PM

thanks

Thank you Mike for pointing me in the right direction have found the tutorial will go and have a read and try

thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 PM

Hi Palms, there really is'nt too much you can do with a picture as blown out as this. There's no real detail to work with in the blown out areas, therefore nothing to manipulate.

Best I could do was paint in some colour and add a little texture, faded in with a graduation mask. The hair I cloned in from existing hair. Not very good I'm afraid, but it's 1.30 here, so time for a little shut eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle R.jpg (54.6 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 AM

i took a stab at this one also, and like gary, there isnt much you can do but try to reconstruct. i used a lot of clone, push, airbrush, and simple paint brush. i removed the washed out blue cup (?) completely. it just didnt seem to be a good part of the picture. your choice might be otherwise. i also like to take this sort of job in 'coats', much like painting. you apply one coat and let it dry, then do another. this rendition is just one 'coat'. and that 'coat' includes all the various actions i took.

i like to do these 'coats' and then sit back for a while and let them 'dry', as it were. walk away from it and come back later and do another coat.

it's also a good idea when doing a LOT of clone work, like on this one, to zoom in and out quite a bit to keep your perspective. if you stay zoomed in a lot there is a tendency to overdue things and just get one big plastic look.

also, add grain. that's why i used the airbrush. find the density and opacity you like and apply sparingly. again, step back from it and look. use the smudge or push to get a less patterened look, but use those very lightly also.

reconstruction is tougher than retouching or even restoring, in my estimation... save your work often

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle-1-k-1.jpg (46.2 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the help

I
have read the tutorial and had a quick go, And i did'nt lose my patience and actually enjoyed doing it (brilliant tutorial will practice more though ) i have posted my 1st attempt (and a little detour) Thank you Gary for working into the night i found the hair quite hard but yours is good.
And thank you Kraellin you were spot on the cup needed to go tried to alter it but no good didn't even think of getting rid of it. you also reminded me of a point i use in problem solving walk away for a bit and come back, but i have NEVER done that when on the pc (probably because i am sat down )
Thanks again everyone

just looked at this on the screen and it looks a bit orange ( tangoed in the uk)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle2.jpg (70.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg kyle3.jpg (73.1 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2005, 12:09 PM

Here is yet another way..

I used several blank Layers (Blendings: Color, Multiply, Overlay and Soft Light) to gradually minimize the blown out spots.

I used the Heal Brush (Mode: Replace first and Normal later) to cover blown hair and cup.

I used a 'hair' brush to paint some of the hair back.

I used the little extra shadow information found in the Blue Channel (enhanced by the Curves in Attachment 2) , to give back shape and build a 3 dimensional feeling on the right side of Kyle's pretty little face....

Great job everyone!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_kyle.jpg (95.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Blue_kyle.jpg (51.5 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM

palms1,

that's an excellent first start. you've got some color back in the overexposed area and put some of his hair back. very good.

where i'd go next would be to put some texture back in the face where you've painted in the missing area. currently, you've got a monotone color giving a sort of 'pasty' or 'plastic' look. by putting some grain/texture back in there you'll give it a more natural look.

and flora's given me some new ideas (which is almost always the case here on this forum :) off to try some out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2005, 08:59 PM

flora,

ok, you've intrigued me. how did you get the color back into the blown out areas? is that what the heal brush does? i've read and re-read your post and cant see what you did to do that. i think later versions of paint shop pro have something similar to the heal, but my ver. 7.xx doesnt. i can see how adjustment layers can manipulate the image, and even how you can mask the adjustment layers, but i'm missing how you got the color back in, or how you got the blown out area out. you said you'd minimized the blown parts with those blendings, but does that account for all the color and shading you managed to get or did you add some back with something else?

nice job, btw

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2005, 02:49 AM

Well I have tried going a step further and have added some grain and took the cup away This is the most retouching i have done on one photo and i actually feel as if i am getting somewhere and its thanks to you all ,thank you Flora you have give me a goal to work to, and thanks again Kraellin for your support and input i would of given up else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle4.jpg (76.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration