RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Meet Spigot the dog

Old 05-18-2005, 02:12 PM

ok, kinda thought that's what you meant by 'chaptered'; just wanted to be sure we were on the same page there. thanks.

mpeg2... ok, so it is a diff's thing. cool. so, when i watch a hollywood movie dvd, it's more than likely in mpeg2? and, if they're doing a diff's thing, then when i take a screenshot of a dvd movie, even though it looks like i'm taking a shot of one frame, i've really taking the accumlation of diffs that have been rendered and sent to the monitor. so, i'm taking the shot off the monitor, not off the dvd in its mpeg2 format. ok, that makes sense.

now, isnt there a way to convert mpeg2 to something that is a frame by frame? mpeg2 to mpeg4 maybe? of course i dont know how mpeg4 is done, but i mean if you wanted a frame by frame full rendered type of thing, it would be possible, yes? and if so, what software would convert this?

i know there's software to convert vhs to digital. i forget the names right off hand, but seems like that would be an area for commercial work all by itself. and surely there's a family home video cam corder authoring service industry as well, yes, no? or are mom and pop pretty much doing these themselves?

i know you can also use hardware like an ATI 9800 pro all in wonder, a capture card, to capture directly off a tv or vhs recorder. you using any of this in your work? seems like a good way to take vhs and convert to digital. i had an older capture card in an older computer system of mine that also had a tv tuner built in. i could watch tv directly on the computer and capture anything i wanted, much like a tivo. i never did very much with it at the time, but since i've taken a new interest in r & r and related services, i'm curious as to what may be out there and how good/bad it is. and, since i mentioned tivo, i would think there might be an area for some work also. copywrites might be a stopper there, though.

all in all, digital has closed some industries, and opened others. breaking into r & r isnt very far removed from what you're already doing. maybe you're heading into r & r for video, which would seem to be an area that needs some pro's. there have to LOTS of vhs tapes out there that could stand some cleaning up for archiving. you might also look into archiving and restoring film to digital. i've seen some of the old film vaults, disney and others, and this is an area that shld bring big bucks and lots of business to someone who could do it relatively fast and of high quality. re-mastering is big business these days. every television show and hollywood movie made on film seem to be being re-mastered and re-sold any more, and with 50 + years of television and even more from hollywood, this has to be a pretty large industry.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 04:09 AM

Not more than likely. Its no ifs, ands, or butts if its a commercial DVD. In fact even a consumer DVD MUST be MPEG2. VideoCD is mpeg1 and I think SvideoCD is MPEG2. Yeah screen shots are off the monitor. Not out of the source.

If you've got the conversion software then yeah Mpegs can be converted to avi or mov, another type of mpeg. flash, etc.PAL or NTSC too.

Yeah theres a "family" industry but its rarely excluslively family as you wont be able to sustain a business that only focuses on the the average joe. At least not one with an substantial profits.

some consumer cameras can be ussed as the "middle man" VHS deck to DV camera to firewire card in PC. passing straight through. While other require you to first make a miniDV video. And then output that into the PC.. I also have a external conversion box in/outing DV/S-video/analog in PAL, NTSC or SECAM.

Best way to capture is via firewire. Well actually best way is totally uncompressed MOV or AVI. Next best thing is a DV-MOV or a DV-AVI. Looks just as good. Mpegs and other compressed avi's bad idea. Totally uncompressed AVIs however require tons of space and a very fast all around computer.

Tivo is actually a stupid idea. I mean sure its great being able to do what TV offers. But you do not need tivo to do that. so you can do it for free. especially recently. You can by set top hard disk recorders that behave exactly like tivo but there is no service to pay for.

ah yeah, at another old company I work for... a post production house. They did film to video transfers. and restored films too. I think the machine they used was called a Davinchi. Mega dolars for the machine not to mention the per hours. Each frame is restored on a per pixel basis. Just like cloneing dust out of a photo in Photoshop.

Now thats funny. all this somewhat off track discusion and whats the last word.....Photoshop. LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 09:01 AM

yes, poor spitgot the dog got lost somewhere in here

ok, so let's say i want to convert some of my degrading vhs tapes to digital. in fact, i've even got older laser discs hanging around that might be smart to convert also. i've got a vcr. i've got a laser disc. i've got a computer. and i've got a tv. would the best way be to get a capture card in the computer with an s/video in and a tv or vcr with an s/video out or, would i be better off to get a dvd player/recorder and dub straight from the vhs vcr and then just run the dvd in the computer? and, i'm not even sure what jacks the laser disc has on it, but it prolly has at least composite out.

and, to take this even further, if i did manage to convert my vhs tapes to digital, what would i need to clean them up? would it be better to convert them to .avi first, asssuming their going to be captured in mpeg2?

this stuff gets confusing; the acronyms alone can drive you nuts

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 03:03 AM

Sorry for the late reply

If you already own a DV camera, it may allow for "passthrough". Whereby the signal is sent from the VCR/laser disk into the DV camera and then simaltaneously dumped to the compueter via Firewire. In this method you would be "capturing" to DV-AVI. Doing so, the quality or lack thereof of the VHS or Laser Disk will not be lost. Bad Idea to capture to mpeg 1 or 2 since they are heavily compressed. . No sense it satring with a heavily compressd format to only result in the finale output also being compressed again. With DV-AVI you wont see hardly any loss. Also doing it the firewire way and DV-AVI, its very difficult to lose frames of video. Where as capturing via an analog capture card it can be very easy AND you likely don't have a computer fast enough to capture totally uncompressed AVI so you'd have to use a codec to compress it. Resulting in a video that looks worse than a DV-AVI.

A analog cards can be dirt cheap but arent very good at what they are for. quality analog captures going to run you about $1000. But there are ones for between 2 and 500 dollars that might do well. They are okay but again not perfect. An OHCI compliant firewire card on the other hand can be as cheap as $20 and you'll have no issues, your DV camera video will look exactly the same and be exactly the same quality when its on your PC. There isnt really a "capturing" process at all with DV. Rather the DV codec is a "bridge". A method of transport. So you get out exactly what you put in. a consumer DV camera can be had for as low as $200. Or you can buy a DV convertor unit that has DV/S-video/Composite/component Ins and outs that connects to the PC via Firewire. I bought mine direct from Canopus.com so it ran me almost $700 but you can buy it on 3rd party sites for about $300 or less Its an ADVC-300. It has noice filters and some color adjustiing ability but you don't really need that IF you have a video editor(NLE) AND have various color corection and noise reduction plugins designed for it. Since you are here you know that plugins can be dirt cheap or almost cost as much if not more than the software they plugin to.

Whew. Hand cramp. LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 03:06 AM

Also, if you don't want to deal with creating your own DVD menus and such then yeah your easiest option is to use a set top DVD recorder. Some come with crappy basic menus, some with really nice optional menu graphics. Some allow you to insert your own graphics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 10:39 AM

ok, i think i followed most of that....i think. a few more questions, though. is DV-AVI actually a format? i know what .avi is and .mov, but is dv-avi a format also?

and i got that you can use a digital movie recorder for pass-thru to a firewire port, but would this firewire card be just a standard pci slot firewire card or something special for what we're talking about? i'm guessing from what you said that it's just a standard add-on pci slot firewire interface card and that the codecs used with it would the important part of it. is that correct?

and i lost you on this part also:
Quote:
but you don't really need that IF you have a video editor(NLE) AND have various color corection and noise reduction plugins designed for it.
what are we talking about here? and what's the NLE stand for? is this also a pci type card in the computer or a stand-alone device that would connect up with a computer if desired? or, is this some sort of software and if so, then i'd still need some way of getting the signal into the computer.

annoying, arent i i've always had an interest in cameras and photography, and likewise in electronics and computers. so, it didnt take me long, after getting into pc's quite a bit, to realize that a computer should be the heart of a system of electronics that would allow all these other devices to talk to each other. but, because of piracy issues and other stops, this isnt occurring in a natural order, or even at all, and those wishing to work in this arena are having to kind of 'cut and paste' these devices together to do what they want to do. i mean, it seems to me that a computer is a natural interface for all these other devices and that if all the other devices were digital at heart, that it should be simplicity itself to simply move the data from one device to the other. and even if some of it is analog, this should still be possible fairly easily.

so, getting back to the bottom line here, let's make this a bit simpler. let's say that all i want to do is convert a vhs tape to digital, capture it on my harddrive and save it to a dvd so as not to take up all the room on my harddrive and that this is nothing more than an archiving process to save my vhs tapes which are degrading. i've got a decent vhs deck. i've got a medium grade computer with tons of harddrive space and i've got a dual layer dvd burner with the media for that. but i dont have an interface (or am not aware of one at least), to get the analog vhs to the computer. it sounds like a dv camera to firewire would work, from what you're saying... if it has the pass-thru. or, also a 'dv converter', which i'm not familiar with, but ok, i get the idea of it. and the last is the video editor(NLE...whatever that it). i could use a pci or agp capture card, but you suggest i wouldnt be pleased with that because it would tend to either compress or distort or both. have i got all that right?

i've been tempted several times to buy something like the ATI 9800 all in wonder video card for all this, or maybe the Saphire one, but have never been quite sure about these. from what you're saying, this wouldnt be what i really wanted. these also incorporate a tv tuner into the card and ostensibly, one could set up a tivo-like rig by running the tuner part as your tv directly on your monitor and capturing whatever you wanted directly to your harddrive. i'm going to assume here that from what you said, this would be in mpeg2 format, though. i'll have to check on that. i seem to recall that some do and some can also do it in other formats, possibly even in .avi or .mov. that doesnt get me the vhs tapes converted, however, but i would think most of those types of cards would have an s-video in and out, or even .dvi input/outputs.

i do thank you for your time and patience. and i know i'm somewhat asking things you've already answered, as in the last paragraph about the capture cards. i guess part of my confusion is bits and pieces of data i've gotten from various sources and even a bit of research on my own and i'm just trying to get this all laid out a bit better in my head. talking with someone who knows this stuff helps

and btw, did you get your picture sorted out, spigot?

K.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration