RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Building A Monitor Hood

Old 05-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Building A Monitor Hood

I've been doing some research on Monitor Hoods and have decided to build my own. I found one post pertaining to this here, but I was wondering if anyone here as build a hood themselves. If you have, can you tell me what material you used for the hood and where you bought it. I went looking at a local craft store the other day, but they only had that thin painting paper and no heavier cardboard type stuff.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM

Measure the length and depth you need for a upside down U shaped thingee*. Make sure the sides go all the way to the bottom of the monitor.

Go to a frame shop and buy a piece of black foam core that is the depth and length you need.

Fold the foam core at the correct spots to fit, its easier if you score the paper layer on the outside of the bend. Then after making the fold put a length of duct tape over the cut.

Either use self stick Velcro to hold it to the monitor or use a rubber band from one bottom edge to the other.

Easy!

Mike

* Thingee is a highly technical term that covers so many subjects that there is not room here to go into it in any amount of great detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 10:07 AM

I have a LaCie 22 that has a shroud. It is like Mike described only vinyl covered likely something like poster board inside it. LaCie holds theirs on with Velcro. It is 8" deep material that stood out 6" in front of the screen.

That said I built my first shroud out of a box that was maybe a shy 1/8" thick, non corrugated. It was/is taped onto the monitor with 1.5" cellophane tape.

I also would make the top piece double using Mikes foam board as I found early on that a wooden pencil tray out of an old desk drawer and a cup to hold pens and scissors... ended up on top of the monitor. Oh yeah, see if you can get either neutral gray or flat black board, it seems to make a difference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2005, 11:21 PM

Thanks

Hey guys!
Thanks for the tips on how to DIY. I just got my first Wacom pad, so once I've got that all broken in I am going to tackle making the hood.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 11:39 PM

Hello, I'm Maureen and I'm new here. What exactly is a monitor hood needed for? Please excuse my ignorance on this topic.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 11:00 PM

Lightbulb

Hi Maureen!

A monitor hood helps to decrease reflections and distractions when you are working with images. It just helps focus the eye and filters out shadows and things that happen on the monitor to help your work be more accurate.

Hope this explanation helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
Hi Maureen!

A monitor hood helps to decrease reflections and distractions when you are working with images. It just helps focus the eye and filters out shadows and things that happen on the monitor to help your work be more accurate.

Hope this explanation helps.
Wow, your explanation sure does help and I'm gonna make one as soon as I can!

Thanks RNB!

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 02:07 PM

I remember visiting automotive companies years ago and the looked like cardboard city everyone had a cardboard box cut out into a monitor hood. I used to have one with my lacie but never really used it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 AM

Cheap hood

Bought a real cheap slide viewer at the camera store, took off the back where the slide went in. Attached it with velcro. I think the whole thing cost me $3.95. And the lens enlarges the screen image.
Old Cheap Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2005, 01:37 PM

More detail, Bob....

Hi Bob,

Can you give more detail about the slide viewer you used? Make/model or description of what it's like? Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration