RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Penny Farthing

Old 05-25-2005, 12:46 AM

ok, that's much better! thanks

it's late, so no photos right now, but i did look at it a bit. you're driving me nuts, deadants i'm now back to looking at parts of that black as hair. if you look at his left shoulder, following one strand of hair down, it sort of looks like it's braided or has a some sort of hair banding on it. and that part that comes way down on his right side may have something in it also... decorations? beading? very hard to tell. could just be corruption in corruption, white on black.

i'll look at it some more tomorrow.

also, i originally thought he was smiling and i still think he is, but after doing some fine cloning around his mouth, it now appears a bit differently. it's still a smile and i even think i can make out some teeth; it's just different than what i first thought.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 04:15 AM

Hi deadants,

Just in case your are not familiar in collecting old photos, these type of photos with old bicycles are usually valuable among the collectors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 04:29 AM

Well the state it's in now, I'd say it is not worth a cold beer. I think my mother would be a bit miffed if I started selling my Grandfarthers photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 09:24 AM

Just curious...could the black stuff be a mold damage of some type? Looks like you are going to have your hands full on this one!

Amber
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 04:16 PM

dreamypix,

that's what i was wondering too. the funny part of it is that it seems to almost follow some kind of pattern. maybe there was something chemical that the mold liked on one part of the photo that it didnt on the rest. ??

deadants,

i've looked this over a bit more. every channel is corrupted, red, green, blue, and cyan, yellow, magenta, black in the other method. the blue was the worst, if i recall, but all were affected. that makes it tougher.

i've tried several filters, all without much luck in separating things out. i even resorted to trying some user defined filters and some imported plug-ins. again, no real success in bringing out some more detail in the 'damaged' areas.

there is one area that has me a bit perplexed, and that's on his left shoulder. there is a line of black coming down from the heavy black area, and this line of black seems to have a braid to it, ending in some sort of tie or beading or stay of some sort. the perplexing part is that it looks almost the same as the real bad black areas, but there seems to be that tied look near the end of it.

i also tried to discern more in that lower black area coming around his middle. i've gone both ways on this one, but mostly i'm now leaning back to mainly corruption. also, in this same area, there almost seems to be some shadowing on his coat from the black, but the problem with that is that the shadowing doesnt quite make sense to me given the source of the light.

still, there are bits and pieces of the black that seem to have some detail that might make sense under certain circumstances....might.

i think you're going to have to just make a 'best guess' on this one. i lean to removing the heavy black and replacing with surrounding area colors and shades, but that's by no means a certainty.

you DO get some interesting pieces; i'll give you that

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 09:28 PM

I have been thinkiing the thing on the left sholder could be some sort of epaulet, like you would see in a brass band uniform.

Quote:
i think you're going to have to just make a 'best guess' on this one. i lean to removing the heavy black and replacing with surrounding area colors and shades, but that's by no means a certainty.
yes I think It's going to be a case of cutting the corruption out and reconstructing. There's just so much to clean up, I'm not sure how it will look like.

Boy O Boy it's a real head banger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 PM

Just a couple of observations on this photo, not from a technical but an historic viewpoint. The over all costume of the man is not everyday dress but that of a circus or sideshow performer. The headgear is ornamented with feathers, the coat is a cutaway, ringmaster style.

Performers decorated their costumes not to be authentic but to be exotic. The black, because of its more uniform shape on the right front shoulder, could be a length of fur or hair, dreadlock style. Who knows, he may have been carrying a monkey on his right shoulder.

The black on the bottom back part of the headgear may just be an over developed shadow. I think I would try to preserve the black in the photo because of its regular, not random, presence.

Someone with much more experience with photography and deterioration in old photos would have to explain the white fluff. Mike from Enumclaw, where are you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 12:38 AM

one other suggestion here, deadants, when you start on this, remove only that which you're 90% sure doesnt belong. save. then work the 80% certainty. save. etc with 70% and so on.

the white to the left of the gentleman on the clapboard siding is where i started. it's obvious corruption and once removed makes the whole look better. it can also happen that as you remove more and more, new things you didnt see before will start to become more clear. just be careful that you're not adding your own new detail. i've done that too

K.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration