RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

New Oval Bust Challenge

Old 05-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Well, I'm still not getting it. Clear as mud to me............. I am beginning to feel dense. You all seem so comfortable with the Photoshop Interface that you may have forgotten how to relate to someone who knows almost absolutely nothing. I'm trying. I really am. I wish one of you could come sit down at my computer and just do it so I could see it done.

Signed,
Frustrated AtlanaAnna
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Anna, If you told us exactly what you are doing step by step, and what isn't working it could help us help you more. You also might want to read through the instructions here so far again very closely, as it really is all here - for instance have you looked at the history steps I posted, and looked at your own to see if they look the same? Did you notice that the square at the top called "NEW" was a check pattern - meaning it had a transparent layer? Does yours look the same?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2005, 11:52 PM

Caitlin,

My History steps don't look like yours because I'm starting with the basic image which is called Background. The first part of your History says 'New' showing a transparent layer. The instructions I've learned for making a Vignette it to start with your image which is your Background layer. Then make a copy of that image to get a Background layer copy. At this point is where I would create another layer that isn't filled with any color so it would just have the gray pixels. In the Layer Dialog box that comes up, in the area to select a color, I select None. On this layer is where I would draw my oval shape over the image, Inverse it, go to Quick Mask and feather, then exit Quick Mask and try to cut away everything outside of the oval. My finished picture has only gray checks outside of the oval but when I attempt to put it into my web page, it has a while background outside of the oval.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 12:04 AM

It sounds like you may be going around this a rather complex way - the final extra layer is unnecessary, as is the quick mask step. Additionally you can feather your oval with 'feather' under the select menu (you mentioned Gaussian blur before?)

But if you are ending out with a result that displays the oval image, and transparency check boxes around it it sounds like your result is ok. So it might be the way you are saving it. Use save for web, and ensure that the version you save (GIF or PNG-24) preserves the transparency. There is a check mark in the settings for this. It should be clear by the preview if you have your settings correct, as the checkbox transparency should be maintained.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 12:42 AM

See the attached picture. How in the world did I do this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenCapUg.jpg (95.0 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 11:18 PM

It's still not working for me. I've looked at your History steps and I don't really understand why your first step is 'New'. New what? If it were a layer, wouldn't it say, 'Layer'? Then it says, 'Paste'. What are you pasting? From there, I understand Eliptical Marquee and Feather but I don't quite know where you got 'Clear'. Why not 'Cut'? I don't see a 'Clear' command anywhere. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. After you talked about being sure to save it as a .gif, I also thought that might be my problem but it's still not producing the results I want. I either get a picture like the one attached to the post just before this one or I get a Vignette with a white background. I'm wondering if all the instructions are beginning to be a bit muddy in my thinking. Right now, I'm ready to resort to cropping and pasting the post that has the results I want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 AM

Hi AtlanaAnna,

Like for nearly everything else in PS, there are different ways to achieve what you are aiming for .... One is to save your image in such a way that it preserves transparency (not all formats allow it ... .JPG, for one, doesn't ... you could get informations about this topic by searching for 'transparency' in the Photoshop help - just press F1 after you opened PS.. below, a small list of what I found on it):
  • JPEG for continuous tone images, such as photographs. JPEG compression preserves a broad range of color and subtle variations in brightness, but does not support transparency.
  • GIF for animations, solid-color images, and images with repetitive color, such as line art and logos. GIF supports transparency.
  • PNG-8 for solid-color images with sharp detail. Note that many older browsers do not support the PNG format.
  • PNG-24 for continuous tone images, such as photographs. PNG-24 preserves transparency, a broad range of color, and subtle variations in brightness. Note that many older browsers do not support the PNG format.
The other way I know is to place your corrected/manipulated/fixed image on the same background (be it plain coloured or patterned) of the web-page it is intended for..
In this case you'll have to go through the procedure of changing the background of your image whenever you decide to change the background of your web-page, but you can save your image in .JPG format making sure that everybody will be able to see it the way you want it.

Here is how I did it:

Using your posted image ScreenCapUg, first, I created a pattern sampling from the background of your web-page:
  • made a rectangular selection with the Marquee Tool (feather=0 pixels) from your web-page background (Attachment 1).

• with the selection active (marching ants), I went for Filter>Pattern Maker. In the top right of the dialog window that opened, first I changed the Width and Height values from 128 to 256 then I clicked on 'Generate' (Attachment 2).

• The whole image in the 'Pattern Maker' window changed to show you how it would look like were I to click OK at that point, but this is not what I wanted ... so, in the bottom right of the window I just clicked on the 'Save Preset Pattern' icon and OK when proposed a name for the new Pattern I'd just created. (Attachment 3).

• Now, up again to the top right, clicked on 'Cancel' to close the 'Pattern Maker' window.

• Back to my PS working space, I closed the ScreenCapUg image.

....Continued in my next post as I have more than 5 Attachments ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pattern.jpg (72.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pattern1.jpg (81.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Pattern2.jpg (47.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Flora; 05-31-2005 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 04:16 AM

I then opened your Bust_of_Daddy picture
  • Change the Mode to RGB.

• Duplicated the background Layer and created a new blank Layer (Layer 1) between Background and Duplicate (Attachment 1).

• Working on Layer 1 I went to Edit>Fill and in the 'Contents' I chose Pattern>Custom Pattern and in the cascading menu I clicked on the pattern I just created .... usually the last one in the list. (Attachment 2)

• Now, I activated my top Layer (Background Copy), made the oval/elliptical selection, feathered it and clicked on the 'Add Layer Mask' icon at the bottom of my Layers' Palette. (Attachment 3).

• Attachment 4 shows how it looked like after the Layer Mask was added and, happy with the result, I flattened the image and saved as .JPG

• Attachment 5 shows how this will look on your web-page side by side with your result.

As I said before, you'll have to go through the whole procedure again should you desire to change the background of your web-page ... but only this way you can be sure that you can blend perfectly any image with its web-background just the way you want everybody to see it ... without having to worry about transparencies and how they will show (if at all..) on different browsers!

I know it sounds very complex, but you'll see that following step-by-step you'll have fun doing it and I assure you that it was much faster doing it than not writing how I did it ...

Hope this helps .... but just 'yell' if you have more questions ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pattern2a.jpg (65.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Pattern3.jpg (82.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Pattern4.jpg (88.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pattern5.jpg (90.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pattern6.jpg (94.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Flora; 05-31-2005 at 04:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Thank you, teacher! Here is my bust.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WebBgDad.jpg (26.6 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2005, 02:30 PM

I don't know how you did that, but what you need to do is:

1. Open your image (the rectangular one without any bits deleted) in PS. If you have multiple layers, flatten them now. (Screenshot 1)

2. On the Background layer in the Layers palette, to the right you will see a little padlock. Double-click on the padlock.

3. A "New Layer" dialog box should pop up. Accept its default settings and click on OK. Your Background layer should now be called "Layer 0" and the padlock should be gone. (Screenshot 2)

4. Use the Elliptical Marquee tool to select the oval you want. (Screenshot 3)

5. Do Select -> Feather and type in a value (e.g. 20 pixels).

6. Do Select -> Inverse. (Screenshot 4)

7. Hit Delete.

8. You should now have the central part of the oval there at full opacity, laid over a transparent (checkerboard) background. (Screenshot 5)

... continued in next post
Attached Images
File Type: gif rosina1.gif (86.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: gif rosina2.gif (86.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif rosina3.gif (88.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif rosina4.gif (88.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif rosina5.gif (72.6 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration