RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

New Oval Bust Challenge

Old 05-26-2005, 07:03 PM

New Oval Bust Challenge

I'm wanting to use this oval bust as part of a website and now, I'm trying to make the outer color of the vignette the same as the website background. The background isn't just a color, it's a colored texture so there is no exact color #. I'm posting a picture of the regular vignette and another picture of my attempt to try to match the background color of the webpage and I still don't like the way it looks. I'm wondering if there's a way to somehow tranplant the actual webpage background into the vignette. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScrenPicColors2.jpg (53.2 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Instead of making a coloured vignette, delete the vignette area (with feathering), to reveal your base transparency. Then save the image as a GIF preserving transparency. This way the background of your site will show through.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 08:17 PM

Deleting by feathering? I created a layer with no color to draw the vignette design and I feathered with the Gaussian Blur. I exited Quick Mask and re-Inversed the selection. When I tried to cut the outside area, I get a message saying, "Cannot complete the Cut command because the selected area is empty."
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 PM

You are probaly on the wrong layer. Check to make sure you have the correct layer selected before doing the delete.

You can see by my quick example on the right I didn't give myself enough room before I made the vignette, hence the clipped edges. but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteadyEddie.jpg (31.9 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 09:12 PM

I still don't get it. I'm attaching a picture of my screen. This is what it looks like when I get the message that no cut can be completed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vignette-Screen.jpg (52.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 PM

What you need to do is select the background Copy Layer and then do your delete.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 09:44 PM

Don't forget to turn off the the Background Layer, otherwise when you do your delete, it will appear as if nothing has happened.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 10:34 PM

Hi Anna,

As Deadants has said, you are trying to make your selection on the wrong layer - you do not need your 'Layer 1'. I've attached a screenshot showing the history steps of the easiest way to achieve what you want. Make sure the layer has a transparency base. Create your oval selection, inverse, feather, then delete the selection. Save as GIF. The transparency probably won't be apparent in this attachment, as the browser default b/ground is white!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ovaltransparency.jpg (97.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: gif eddie_with_transparency.gif (16.4 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 11:11 AM

Maybe my problem is that I don't know how to make sure it has a transparancy base. How do I make sure of that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 PM

What I think they mean is that you don't want a locked background layer, because it can't contain transparency.

Try this...
1. Do a select all in your orginal image. Highlight the original image layer (probably the background). press the CONTROL and C keys at the same time. (This copies the image to the clipboard).

2. Go to the FILE menu and select NEW. A dialog will open and the dimensions, etc. of the image will already be supplied (matching the image in the clipboard). In the BACKGROUND drop down list, choose TRANSPARENT. Then click OKAY.

3. A new image will be created at the same size as your original image, but there will be no background layer, just a normal layer that's completely transparent. press CONTROL and V at the same time to paste in your photo.

You could also just double click the background layer to turn it into a normal layer that supports transparency, but this way makes sure you're working on a copy of the image in a whole other file. Working with another file is a lot safer than just working on a copy of a layer in the same file. If you go the double click route, make sure you duplicate your original image layer and hide it before you do any work on it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration