RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Moldy Polaroid - help! (Aunty Jack)

Old 06-03-2005, 06:04 PM

I think Kraellin is correct. After doing a select colour range and lightening the mould, you can make out Graham’s moustache.

I hope you can bring this piece of Aussie cultural history back to life, or he’ll “Rip yer bloody arms off”
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 01:05 AM

Smile

There's something I never thought I'd see, Aussie and culture in the same sentence. Only kidding. Best of look with the restore Caitlin, looks like a really difficult one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 08:16 AM

Is there no physical restoration that can be made to the image? maybe some safe way to remove at least some of the mold from the image before it is scanned I would think in this case that would yield the best results if it is at all possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestion creeduk - I did have a quick look at the print, but to me it seemed like the mould damage had become more of a stain, than anything that could be easily removed.

I also didn't want to risk damaging a photo like this, when it isn't mine, and does have a certain historical - and yes - cultural - value. In fact I insisted he kept it, and suggested he give it to the National Film & Sound Archive here in Australia. Though we have a major photographic collection where I work, restoration is not one of our 'things' so I am looking at this purely in my 'hobby' mode.

I have toyed with the idea of substituting parts as Ro suggested, but as this image represents a particular event I think it is important to keep it completely accurate. As it was a first costume test I think the makeup and look etc was not yet formulated fully either - hence not going to match the various other photos on the web. I think I'll be happy if I can just get it cleaned up to the point it is recognisable, and without the obvious stains.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 11:44 AM

i spent some time with this yesterday and no matter what i do, i can find very little automated help on this one. oddly, i did get some results on splitting the cmyk channels out and then taking the black and doing a reverse image on it. by using sharpen, clarify and fade reduction, i could get a tiny bit more detail.

and then today, i tried this same thing with the cyan channel. first, convert it back to 16 million color. then, do a negative image on it. this brings it back to a positive image. after that, use one light sharpen, several full strength clarifys and a fade reduction. and last, anything else you might want to try. the cyan did seem to result in some better detail. i've posted it below.

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyan2-1-k-1.jpg (77.5 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 06:14 PM

Man - It really is a bit of a mess isn't it...

This challenge IS a lot like the bathtub girls, which is scary when you think that this photo is only about 30 years old. Polaroids are a curse. (I can't help but wonder if there will be people struggling over dye based inkjet printed photos in a similar way in 50 years...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Man - It really is a bit of a mess isn't it...
...I couldn't agree more ..... don't know if anything can be done to the picture itself before scanning .... the problem here is that it seems the mold has 'eroded' the parts of the picture it covers .... I had another go after downloading your 1MB image ... In this version the moustache is more clearly seen .... but from your link and philbach's attachment, I was certain it was there .... I worked on his face only (healing, blurring, lightening and darkening) just to see where I got ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
This challenge IS a lot like the bathtub girls, which is scary when you think that this photo is only about 30 years old. Polaroids are a curse. (I can't help but wonder if there will be people struggling over dye based inkjet printed photos in a similar way in 50 years...)
... Should this be the case, let's hope that 'image elaboration software' will be so advanced as to fix it!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Aunty-Jack_1mb.jpg (96.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 AM

That is looking VERY good Flora. He probably does have a moustache - and is just remembering the event wrong. Now my other question is - is he wearing glasses?? I THINK I might be able to see the shadow of them...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 04:50 AM

Thanks, Caitlin ...
Quote:
is he wearing glasses?? I THINK I might be able to see the shadow of them...
.... same here .... but I couldn't make out enough details to be certain ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 12:54 PM

aunty jack

I gave this a shot but it still needs work. I found enough detail on the face to place some copied features from another photo on it. I did see a trace of glasses so I added them.

Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunty-Jack.jpg (99.7 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration