RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Moldy Polaroid - help! (Aunty Jack)

Old 06-01-2005, 07:43 AM

Moldy Polaroid - help! (Aunty Jack)

Hi Everyone,

No-one other than my fellow Aussies are likely to recognise the name in the title, or the image attached, but Aunty Jack was an extremely popular and controversial comedy icon in Australia in the 70's.

Today I was given this polaroid by the actor/comedian who played her - Graham Bond.

The image is of his first wardrobe test wearing the now famous Aunty Jack outfit, so I would like to attempt a restore.

In examining the original it looks like it has both mould damage and fading, but I don't think the mold can be physically removed.

For an idea of what Aunty Jack looked like see here: http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/comedy/auntyjack.htm though Graham tells me he thinks he had actually shaved off his moustache that week, so was lacking the customary mo.

What suggestions do people have for recovering some of the lost detail?

A higher res version here: www.tv83.net/retouchpro/Aunty-Jack_004_1mb.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunty-Jack_004_100kb.jpg (90.4 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 06:14 AM

Hi Caitlin,

I saw the title and was immediately drawn to the thread. I can hear the theme song running through my head as I type. Loved the show, especially when Graham and Rory did their park bench sketches and ants songs. Showing my age I guess

No help on the image, sorry. I just couldn't help responding.

Paris
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 09:07 AM

caitlin,

i took a cursory look at this one. interesting pic. the damage extends across all the color channels and that makes it tougher. my guess is that you're going to have to do some reconstruction and a lot of manual editing, as opposed to automated filters. the face is going to be the critical area and i dont see any easy way to do it. you can sharpen and clarify and enhance and contrast to try and bring out a bit more detail, but in the end i think you're going to have to just roll up your sleeves and use small brushes and clones and 'hand' work to reconstruct, perhaps even borrowing from other similar images to reconstruct.

if the work wasnt as damaged as it is, i'd say just start fixing the easier areas, but in a case like this i'd start with the more difficult to see if it's worth doing at all and that pretty much means the face. i did go so far as to try combining some channels with the arithmetic tool to try and bring out some more detail, but it really didnt help much. sharpen does a little bit also, but 'clarify' had little effect.

you might also find deadant's thread about the two little girls in the tub. there are a number of helps in there on bringing out more detail. it shldnt be too far down in the threads here in this forum area. and maybe flora will ring in on this one. she's got some techniques that might help also.

K.

edit: here's the thread i was talking about: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-restoration/10423-ghostly-image.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 10:34 AM

OK. I'm risking stirring up the whole restoration / reconstruction bag-o'-cats again. (don`t tell Duv)

A quick websurf reveals a number of images of this "colourful" character (I myself was brought up on a strict diet of Monty Python! ).

So this would be one of those cases were you have some auxiliary input, at least as to dresses and boxing gloves.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 02:21 AM

Well, I tried .... I did some 'cleaning up' but gave up soon realizing I'd never get the bits that count (his face) in any acceptable condition ....

P.S. Caitlin, I'd neverd heard of 'Aunty Jack' before, but I've always been a big fan of 'outrageous' Dame (possums) Edna ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Aunty-Jack_100kb.jpg (99.2 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 02:32 AM

Roland,

Quote:
OK. I'm risking stirring up the whole restoration / reconstruction bag-o'-cats again. (don`t tell Duv)
.... ... you do like to live dangerously!!!

For this time I won't tell .... but only because of Monty Python!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 AM

I've just started working on it myself - when I posted originally I was just hoping someone could give me some blinding inspiration - but it looks like this one will just be hard slog. I've only just started, but attached is where I'm up to so far. I used the blue channel (I think) but copied detail for the dressers dummy and gloved hand from one of the other channels as the mould damage wasn't so apparent. Still a long way to go though.....

When I scanned this I thought I was very careful to turn off all auto settings, but the levels seem to say otherwise unfortunately, and I refused to hold onto the original (I know how slack I can be at giving things back promptly)

The gloved hand and face are obviously going to be the hard bits....

Aunty Jack had a similar feel to Monty Python in fact, though Graham Bond was telling me that when he tried to launch the show in the UK, a TV executive suggested he should play it thinner and more sexy (a-la Dame Edna!) Not surprisingly he refused.

Flora, your attempt seems to be revealing a moustache. Do you think there is one there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunty_Jack_retouch.jpg (98.6 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 02:55 AM

You are doing great! .... It's just going to be one of the 'labour of love' jobs!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Flora, your attempt seems to be revealing a moustache. Do you think there is one there?
.... Not sure .... I got that trying to enhance the 'nose-mouth' area using a blank Layer set to Overlay and slowly painting on it with a very soft, low opacity, black brush ..... But, as I said before, I quitted very soon ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Patron

Cool Aunty Jack

Well I've been gone for a few days but on a lark I searched Google/Images for Aunty Jack and came up with a few faces. I thought I would post them for possible help on restoring "Aunty's Face"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AuntyJack.jpg (39.7 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 09:00 AM

caitlin,

yes, he's sporting a moustache. you can make it out in various channels and even the original, especially on his right side. i can make out his right eye fairly well and his mouth...mostly. it's his left side that is badly damaged. you might also take a look at splitting the cmyk channels out. the black is almost worthless, but you do get another look at some things in the cmy. you might even try some recombining of various channels with the arithmetic function. sometimes that will highlight damaged areas. the red and the green with arithmetic set to 'darkest' helps a bit, for instance. i'm using psp 7, but i believe photoshop has this also. we had some limited success doing this with the tub girls.

it's a difficult picture. take your time. look at it from lots of different ways and do remember to eat and sleep

philbach,

that's an excellent help! it shld make reconstruction of the face MUCH easier!

K.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration