RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Re-Creating Cleavage?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:12 AM

Re-Creating Cleavage?

Ok, this might sound like a strange question...

Is there a way to re-create cleavage, or put it in the right place?

What I've got here is an image where the cleavage was 'lost' because the image was shot lying down. I tried to go in with the bloat tool in the 'Liquify' command but, wow, that really didn't work at all. I basically mutilated the image, so I undid what I had done.

Are there any tutorials on this sort of thing, or can someone maybe point me in the right direction? I assume it's something in liquify and perhaps some painted on hi-lighting tricks?

**removed image and image link**

A smaller version is posted below.

Last edited by rnbluvva; 06-12-2005 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Removed URL for larger image
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 AM

That's a tough one! Glenn Feron is quite good at the cleavage deal, so maybe you can get some inspiration here:

http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/portfolio27.html
http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/portfolio31.html
http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/portfolio30.html
http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/portfolio41.html

But then again - he always has just a little too start with.

Anyways - I'm puzzled as well about the subject, so let us know, if you figure it out!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 PM

I think you will need to find a similar look or same model differnt pose and sample to cleavage and add it subtley. Although really there should be none in that position unless they were false!

Last edited by creeduk; 06-09-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 PM

My attempt:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seashells-larger.jpg (76.6 KB, 171 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 01:35 PM

basically, cleavage is something caused by bras. the breasts get pushed up a bit and closer together. not all do this, but a lot of them do. it also tends to be true that the larger the breasts, the more cleavage that results from this. when a woman lies down, the breasts tend to flatten and move to the sides, completely opposite of what a bra does. even in the case of a large breasted woman, this is going to be the case.

in the case of the model in the picture, you can easily see that the breasts have indeed flattened and moved to the sides quite a bit. thus, no cleavage to speak of. you can trick the eye a bit with shadowing to give the illusion of depth. this is quite common in a 2d image where you want more 3d effect, but in this picture, you're going to be very limited. the model seems to have her back arched, making the bottom end of the ribs stand up unnaturally and this reduces that natural line from the neck to the bellybutton which normally has a greater depth.

so, to give the woman in this picture more cleavage would take quite a bit of work, prolly including some warp, skew, shadowing, hand painting and so on, and even then i doubt it would look very natural. you'd also have to get rid of the whole moved to the sides effect. not an easy task here.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 02:49 PM

ok, i wasnt going to do this, but i gave it a shot. this is just a cursory attempt to show the general effect. and there are others that could prolly easily do this better, but here ya go.

lots of clone and push here. i used clone to raise her right breast up closer to the middle of her chest and push to raise her left and to raise the curve on the clothing line over same. lots of cloning for shadows and texture, borrowing from various tones and hues here and there. i also reduced the raised rib effect a bit with cloning that area a bit darker. i also added some shadow in the clothing over her right breast and reduced the curve on the clothing outline on what would be her left breast on the outside edge.

overall, i'm not real pleased with the effect, but it at least it shows you a bit of what might be possible.

ken's shows this also.

tricky thing to do. lots of clone, push, and re-shadowing.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seashells-1-k-1a.jpg (94.1 KB, 161 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 PM

Hi Natalie,

at first, yeah I got your email and will do the photos as soon as I can, have been away for some days now....

About the cleavage thingy, I quickly did one for you, it's sure not real perfect. As the others said, it's quite tricky to find an image to sample from (actually I was a little lazy and took a picture and used it as an overlay) and to make it look quite natural

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seashells.jpg (93.3 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 08:29 PM

The problem is as Kraellin points out the breast is visibly lower so the cleavage looks wrong with out making some effort to move it up. I think Ken is on the right path by highlighting the left area but changing the shape of the right one to make it look more possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 AM

So basically the moral of this story is, wear a bra and brush it out after, or shoot the whole thing differently! LOL

Yeah this is very tricky as you have all pointed out.

What you were able to do with it is great considering.

Craig: I think the job you did was remarkable. The breasts really were flattened by lying down but you brought some of them back 'up'. Thanks for sharing what tools you used. I hadn't thought of clone. I was just trying to use liquify.... shows how little I know!

Patrick: cool. I was wondering how you did the whole image overlay thing? Any way you could post a screen shot of your layers palette??

Ken: excellent.

I think you all did great creating something from nothing!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 03:20 AM

Well an old wives tale here, but for ladies with small breasts my grandmother use to say get your blusher brush with bronzer and put in a cleavage, so get your brush add some bronzer brown to it and paint it in girl!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration