RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tintype (?) Scanned Image

Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 AM

Boy - you've got a tough one there!

This is a channel mix using red and green channels. Auto levels with a selection on the photo only. Minimal dust & scratches filter, soft Neat Image noise reduction.

Hope someone else can do better than me!

ps. No need to feel dumb about not knowing FFT - it's one of the most mindbaffling filters around! Search the forum for FFT and you'll find a number of lengthy threads about it. I didn't actually try it on this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ovalfor-postingc.jpg (99.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 06-13-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 01:19 PM

BillD

FFT is a way of removing the texture or pattern from an image. If you want to learn about it you could start where I did here.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/image-help/10660-fft-golf-balls.html

There will be a tutorial on it here at RetouchPro very shortly.

In the meantime I’ve attached two samples. One is your second scan (which is not much better than your first one But the blue channel is cleaner) And the second is with FFT.
There is still much to do to this.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before FFT.jpg (57.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg After FFT.jpg (47.1 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 02:40 PM

i gave this one a shot also. i'm really beginning to hate scanners and scan lines.

i went all over the place on this one... levels, curves, histogram, histogram adjustment, histogram stretch, more curves, clarify, clone, copy clone, salt and pepper noise reduction, gausian blur and repeating some of the above more than once.

for a midway treatment, i started a new reduced area image after getting some of the contrasts and curves better and then started working with clone to clean up that really damaged area in his top left hair area. that led to cleaning up some of his face and clothing. then i did a copy clone, setting the tool on the first image and copying that over to the working image to get back some detail. that put back some of the scan lines, but i decided i'd rather have the detail than remove the scan lines, so i left it there.

tricky picture.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tintype-boy-1-k-1.jpg (91.4 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 07:00 PM

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your efforts. I was afraid this picture was too far gone. You guys have brought back more than I thought would ever show again. I have so much to learn. I'm happy to find this place and I know I can learn a lot here.
I'll take the lesson you have shared and keep working on it. If I get something that deserves a post I'll put it back up.
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 09:53 PM

Old pictures are scary looking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 01:39 AM

Wow! I'm impressed with how far everyone brought this picture. I want to go to Photoshop Bootcamp somewhere / anywhere! This is a great group but I think I would benefit even more if I had more of a foundation to build on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Hiya all

First post for me. I was browsing the board the last few days and this thread caught my attention.
Out of all the pictures around this one was my no.1 choice to check what I can do with such pictures.
So what do you think? Any ideas for improvement?
_______
Drach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canthispicturebesaved.jpg (99.3 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2005, 08:11 AM

That is simply amazing. I wish I knew enought to get this picture to this point. Very nice work. Did you do this is just PS or did you use other programs/plug-ins?
Thanks for the post and the help. I just have to learn how to do this. My friend is going to be very happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 AM

Not sure if you pointed that last post at me, but I used only PS with standard filters.

I used layer-shifting to eliminate those ugly lines. Drawback is, that the image becomes a little blurry, but it wasn't that bad in this case. There was still some distortion which I got rid of with a very slight gaussian blur.
Now it's even more unsharp (still not too bad), but a little trick helps here. Since the background has no important detail, the best bet is to blur it more than the child. By doing so the child appears sharper than it really is
The rest is more or less shifting around curves and some painting (well, the paintwork was done before the bluring, but you get the point ).

I guess that's some very unusual technique and I know it doesn't work always, but I consider myself still a newbie so I think that's ok
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 08:21 PM

Drach

Welcome to RetouchPro

You wanted “Any ideas for improvement”. Well after all that work and the excellent job on the hair I cannot understand why you have not punched up the levels a little. Also you could have used the right eye to improve the left. But this is nit picking and you have done an absolutely excellent job.

This may be your first posting here but obviously not your first retouching project.

If you have done this all in Photoshop then you have got an amazing result.

If you look back in this thread I have used FFT (Fourier Transform) to remove the texture from this image. You say you have used “layer-shifting to eliminate those ugly lines”. Well I did a Google search on layer shifting and got a load of geology sites – Nothing about Photoshop.

It sounds like you have made some sort of mask to eliminate the texture’ If that is the case then I (for one) would be very interested in your Method.

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration