RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tintype (?) Scanned Image

Old 06-11-2005, 09:19 AM

Tintype (?) Scanned Image

A friend ask me to recover this picture. I scanned it in at 600 dpi. I'm new at this and only have PSCS2. I've tried some things and get some sort of image out but with no sucess. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Restore-copy.jpg (75.3 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 09:46 AM

can you give us a better scan ?

you mentioned 600ppi .. this is 72ppi ... did you scan this for us at 72?
If so I'd suggest opening the raw 600ppi scan and reducing that to 72ppi then try posting it... Better yet perhaps just post a smaller section of the 600ppi as it was scanned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 02:45 PM

It appears to be a tintype, (that is: a photograph made on a sheet of iron and coated with dark enamel). Anyway, you need to lighten the image. You can do this by adding curves or level adjusting and changing the blending mode to screen (if necessary you can duplicate this adjustment layer and adjust the opacity). This will reveal the true condition of the photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 05:01 PM

Exclamation

It must be scan it again...
[Even without the frame]
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 08:44 AM

It is possible to bring out the image, but as the others said, it must be rescanned. What is that strange pattern across the image (yet not the frame)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 09:04 AM

Used AstraImage to edit the FFT. Masked off the vertical lines. Applied DDP to enhance the tone and blurred a little. I would rather leave it at this stage as I won't be able to retouch the photo back to its original look and feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg can-this-be-002-s.jpg (6.7 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 10:16 AM

I am pretty new at this so please bare with me. I scanned the image at 600 DPI and then resized it to post. That strange pattern that comes out when I use levels is something I don't understand.
If I re-scan it, what DPI should I use? I thought the bigger the better. Also if I scan it as a gray scale would that be better? When I scanned it as a gray scal there wan't much levels could do.
It may be that there just isn't anything that can be done. The picture is in some sort of cardboard frame. And is just as black as can be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Hi BillD,

One thing to do is to post a scan without any adjustment made to it at all - you say the strange pattern comes out when you use levels, so instead scan it without ANY automatic settings, and in colour, and don't apply any level adjustments, then post it here again. As to what resolution to scan - yes - 600dpi is good (though not much point going higher) but just so you can do the final high quality restore with maximum detail. Lower res is fine to post here (in fact you really don't have any choice to get under the 100k limit). 'Save for web' which I'm presuming you are using, converts the jpg to web resolution automatically so no need to scan at the lower resolution.

That pattern is strange, so if you can post without that adjustment setting we may be able to get to the bottom of it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 07:34 PM

I’ve been playing with FFT RGB and I have been using this picture to play with, just to see what is possible.

BillD
Everyone here is waiting for you to post a better scan before they start on this picture. It has a very strange ‘Pattern’ on the image but it is not on the mount so maybe this is the best you can get from this.

I am posting this to show what is possible from your image. It’s NOT good but it is a big improvement.

Levels
FFT RGB
Gaucian blur on background
Lighten Blouse

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraKen.jpg (99.4 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 07:07 AM

This is scanned and only resized for posting. Let me say thanks for all your help.
Cameraken, what is FFT RGB? I know I will fee stupid when youtell me but ...

Thanks again,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ovalfor-posting.jpg (95.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration