Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Patrick's Challenge

Old 11-26-2001, 12:13 AM
Thanks DJ!

Patrick - I did read your tutorial, thanks. Re layers - I'd rather use too many layers than too few and often find that small changes made to many layers is better than large changes to fewer layers, if you know what I mean. Just a personal preference.

Thanks for your kind comments. I enjoyed the challenge.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 06:57 AM
Location: Mountain View, California...spitting distance from Apple, HP, and Adobe.
Preaching to the choir

OK, I can see your point there. I too believe it's better to have too much than not enough.

Matter of fact, since PS6 took out the 24 layer cap, I've often found myself working on images in excess of 100 layers (remember, effects are layers, too). My poor iMac reallywasn't made for this...but it's putting along nonetheless...

I'd actually like to see a piece that you've accomplished, Sam. Something you found challenging and had to invent a solution to complete if you happen to have any available.

By the way, you sound certified...are you? I know that the certifications are nothing more than really pretty toilet paper, but I was still happy to get mine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 09:25 AM
The other point I had forgotten to make was that, until very recently, I was trapped in PS4, i.e. no history palette, so not used to that luxury yet!

I've done quite a few of the restoration challenges and also have a few jobs I've done commercially on my website.

Where I come from, being certified means you're a confirmed loony.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 11:33 PM
I enjoyed this challenge Patrick. I really enjoy hearing how people go about doing things. I think you mentioned recipe in one of your messages and it's really true how people have their funny recipes of coming up with something to fix a picture. I can't remember everything I did to this one, but I know I went about my usual routine. I started by fixing all the big gashes and junk, by using the clone tool and also selecting large chunks of fairly healthy areas and pasting them into place over rotten areas. After that initial part was done with, I copied the layer a couple times in case I screwed up what was to come and I probably did a levels adjustment at this point as well.
I then selected the background and put in some texture to sort of coalesce with the noisy background that was already there.
Then I went about fixing her face and her shirt primarily. There was a lot of very strange noise on this picture that I had a lot of difficulty getting rid of. There were bright greenish speckles of dust. This may sound odd, but I selected around her skin and then used smart blur, which works well with skin, but you have to play with it. After this step I went around the face and used the blur tool to fix the areas that become blotchy from the smart blur. I lowered the opacity of this layer, added a layer mask, painted away part of this layer to show the facial detail below, applied the layer mask and merged down one layer, then copied the merged layer.
I then did some work on the clothes, trying to bring out some detail. I did this mostly with painting and the dodge and burn tools.
I finished off by painting on her face, adding some skin here and there to get rid of some splitchiness, and also adding some eyelashes and a touch of eye liner.
I was pretty much finished at this point, but I wanted to add some depth to it because it looked a little flat so I added a duotone copy of the file on top of the background layer, changed the mode to soft light and reduced the opacity of this layer. This sounds like it might be similar to Patrick's idea for the gradient map, but I'm not really familiar with that.
I then added a touch of noise and did a final levels adjustment.
Other than the colour, the only thing I'm not real happy with is when I look back at the original I think I changed her looks a little too much or it's a little overdone.
I've played with the history brush before and it's got great potential, but I haven't really mastered it so I tend to stay away from it, although I hope to learn more about it as time goes on.
That ended up as a long description

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pdlbegin2.jpg (88.9 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2001, 08:08 AM
Thumbs down

You did a great job with this challenge. The contrast looks real good and you really brought out the details. All in all, an excellent restoration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2001, 01:14 PM
Most excellent
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2001, 07:22 PM
Thanks DJ & Doug - that little picture took a lot longer than I thought it would , but as usual, it's a nice learning experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2001, 07:27 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Nothing unprofessional about that one Mig! Beautiful job!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration