RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Patrick's Challenge

Old 11-24-2001, 12:50 AM

Location: Mountain View, California...spitting distance from Apple, HP, and Adobe.
Well noted

This'll be truncated in lieu of later posts...

OK, now I would initially like to hear everyone's opinions on how they would restore this. After hearing someone's formula, I will send the TXT file that includes the steps that I wrote that were edited by a few folks at Adobe, and again by some of the people at the California Historical Preservation Society.

Yes, I know this sounds really terrible tht I'm giving you another puzzle...but if I just gave you the answer, you simply would have mechanical instruction s to finish this photo only, not any photo that you work on. As a hint, I'll let everyone know tht the features used are as follows: Levels, Gradient Map, History Brush, Clone Stamp, History Palette, Layers Palette, Gaussian Blur, Dust & Scratches, Despeckle, Median, and High Pass...none of the Filters were applied without use of the Fade feature, and none of the Brushed were used in Normal and 100% opacity at the same time ever.

Major trouble areas in order of difficulty: Blotchy stain on shoulder, bigh chunk missing on top (partially covers hair), face lacks details due to grain being overpowering.

There it is, I look forward to seeng people's responses to this...

Last edited by Trick; 11-24-2001 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 02:38 AM
Janitor

Patrick:

Please repost the attachments. They don't seem to have been included.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 01:01 PM

Location: Mountain View, California...spitting distance from Apple, HP, and Adobe.
Part 1 of 2

Tom, you make an excellent point, and I sincerely apologize for what's been going on.

In an effort to make up for this, I think it may be best to follow through with the basic idea of this thread, which is the exchange of knowledge...so I'm posting a lesson that's been about two years in the making. I need to make it two parts so that everyone can download the initial image and the finished image with the tutorial text file.

The first attempt to post this met with limited file sizes being allowed in a post, which is why this is now broken into two parts.

The image posted here is just a photo that I borrowed from my neighbor...aside from that, I have absolutely no idea who she is. Still, it's a photo that requires some rather severe restoration - but not so severe as to make it really difficult, so it makes for a good tutorial. Besides, the photo belongs to my neighbor who has given permission for it to be used in this manner, so we don't have to worry about copyrights or any of that garbage.

The instructions that follow are for Photoshop, and will work with versions 5, 5.5, and 6. When you open the image, it's a pretty smart idea to assign a working profile of Adobe RGB 1998 to it as this is the RGB space that is really best suited to be later converted to CMYK for printing. A good habit to develop. If you have any other questions regarding color space management (and I'm sure most of you do...it's a bit on the confusing side), emailing me is quite welcome.

Part 2 of this post will have another attachment, including the tutorial instructions and the finished piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pdlbegin.jpg (98.6 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 01:02 PM

Part 2 of 2

This is the second part of the tutorial exercise for those of you interested in beefing up your Photo-Retouching skills...it'shere simply so I can post the ZIP file that contains the finished image and the instructions.

WinZIP and Stuffit both should have no problems expanding this file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip twooftwo.zip (75.8 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 01:08 PM

Incidentally...

If in the process of working on this tutorial, you come across the part where I mention my sharpening techniquie being posted on this site...well, as of yet, it doesn't seem to be.

If necessary, I'll re-write it in TXT form and post it here, but it's a tad involved, includes multiple layers, and uses a filter most people haven't even heard of, High Pass.

(Well, at least I hadn't heard of it until I read about it in the Photoshop Bible.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 01:15 PM
Janitor

The tutorial Patrick is referring is here.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 11-24-2001 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 04:15 PM

Just one look...

Take a quick gander at that one and you'l realize very quickly why I didn't want to re-write that. I tend to write a little too much sometimes, bu enough is enough...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2001, 07:38 AM

I've approached this much like a normal restoration challenge and attach my attempt. Method:-

Applied auto levels (lazy, I know)

Patched up the damaged area above the girl's head using copy, feather, paste (lots of small patches). Tidied up the whole background wall in the same way. Touched up small details with the clone tool.

With the stain on the jacket, I found that this looked best on the blue channel, so copied that section, pasted and tidied up with the eraser. This had to be colorized to match the rest of the photo. A duplicate of this layer was then made, to which I applied Gaussian blur, faded, then blended on "normal". These two steps almost got rid of the stain altogether, but they still needed a little bit of fine tuning with the airbrush & clone tool.

Shadow area to the left and below the desk was treated with color burn tool on a duplicate layer. This tool was also lightly used on the girl's eyes, mouth and hair. Layer opacity reduced.

Copied the girl to a new layer.

Made two copies of this new layer. One I applied Gaussian blur to, the other High pass, which was merged to the blurred layer on overlay mode. This layer now had a 'halo' round it, which had to be removed with the eraser. Also erased eyes and mouth to bring out their sharpness again. Slightly upped the contrast on this layer.

Put a 1 px Gaussian blur over the background. Merged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patricks_challenge.jpg (92.6 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2001, 11:07 PM

Thumbs down

Hey Sam
Excellent job. You took on the challenge and met it head on. Good for you. She turned out very great.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2001, 11:25 PM

Wow.

Well, that beats the instructions I gave, that's for certain.

Normally, I do go into the bit with the channels to remove the stain, I left it out for a couple reasons...number one, I wanted to keep the instructions basic, number two, I forgot. Good call.

And aside from using Auto-Levels (shudder), the only thing I have to add on this one is to maybe suggest reading my tutorial on avoiding auras...but that's only a suggestion.

Again, I'll say that Photoshop's inherent beauty is that there are usually several different ways to get similar results...honestly, I think Sam's finished work came out better than my instructions would deliver. Do you think you might perchance write up a small piece on why the extra layers were used?

One of my big things is that if you know how to do something, you can always do that one thing...if you know why to do it, you can apply it anywhere.

Great job though!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration