Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Faded Photo restoration HELP!

Old 07-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks, but i'm just learning too. I'm not too sure about the channel mask, but this is what i did. I clicked on the red channel and went up to the
Image ~~>adust~~> Levels and adjusted each indiviual channel. You just sort of go to each channel in the levels pull down arrow at the top and mess with each one until it looked right. I based my image off of Flora's picture since hers always looks so great. I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2005, 09:14 AM
To create a channel mask drag one of the channels to the new channel button at the bottom of the channels window.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2005, 10:09 AM

I think you did a very nice job on your picture!! You got the details out ... it just needs some 'brightening' ...

samwise, Jen,

Christine has already pinted you in the right direction, but a step-by-step explanation on creating a channel mask can be found in this Tutorial ... The tutorial is about 3 ways I use for 'enhancing' faded details in pictures ...The channel mask way can be found scrolling down the page to Method 3: CHANNEL MASK ....

In my Tutorial I used the Red Channel, but it could be any of the three as long as it offers a nice contrast to start with ....

There, after copying my selection to its own Layer, I changed its Blending to 'Multiply' .... you can try it for your picture, but I was happier with the result I got following the steps described in my previous post ....
Originally Posted by Flora
Ctrl+J I copied the slection to its own Layer, and, to gradually add tone to the highlights/fadings, Ctrl+I Inverted it and set the blending to Soft Light ...

Duplicated the 'selection Layer' (keeping the 'Soft Light' blending) and strongly blurred it ... This procedure added even more tone, some contrast and sharpness ... (if you try this, just look how stronger the details get with each step ... the baby's right hand you were worried about for example..)..

Not completely happy yet, I duplicated the 'blurred inverted Layer' (adjusting its Opacity) ... even more details and I started getting some colour back ....
Hope this helps ....

Last edited by Flora; 07-08-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2005, 02:32 PM

Thanks everybody for all your help I really appreciate it! I am now finished with this picture and am pretty happy with the result. Take a look and tell me what you think?

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babyrestoreFinal.jpg (92.0 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 PM
I think it looks great. The fade oval is gone and the colors match the photo well. Pat yourself on the back!

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 AM

great job! ... just some colour 'bleeding' to take care of, but great!

what Bill said ... Well done!!! .... You could try to increase the contrast just a bit ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration